swapping to a newer front bumper

98sleeper

Reaction score
i have a 98 accord ex. i want to know if the 02 front bumper will fit on my front end? it looks like it will for the most part, but i just need to hear some input and opinions. let me know. thanks!

whitey2kaccord

Reaction score
^^Coupe or sedan? Coupe will fit right up, but I think there is a tiny gap in the sedan bumper if you swap it. Its right where the hood and bumper meet.

Neight

Reaction score
i seen it done somewhere... i wanted to do the same thing...I like the " 2 holes" on the bottom, but I have OEM fog lamps installed and I dont; wanna paint anything. I think I will just cut my front bumper and install a new grill instead. and the coupe bumper... I don't think its worth that much trouble... you also need a new hood beacuse if you look carfully its differnt. I also have a 98 sedan.. ..98 EX-L (4cyl)... how bout yours?

98sleeper

Reaction score
i have the same thing-98 sedan 4cyl. i have a new cf hood it's a 2 door invader hood and that's another reason i want the two door front bumper. i just wanted to make sure it would work before i bought it and had it painted. i'm anxious now!

klee

Reaction score
98sleeper said:
i have a 98 accord ex. i want to know if the 02 front bumper will fit on my front end? it looks like it will for the most part, but i just need to hear some input and opinions. let me know. thanks!

My front end was destroyed in an accident. My body shop and Honda told me I could not swap a '02 sedan front end on my 98 sedan because of the mounting points. I've seen people swap coupe bumpers on sedans but this requires the fender and hood as well. I'm sure you can do this from sedan to sedan but it will require some drilling for new mounting holes.

theaccordian

Reaction score
you can... I swapped 01-02 to 98-00. But if you do your going to have to swap out the front bumper support beam bracket thingy.
this is from a 98-00
13s840_g01.gif

01-02

13s8411_b46.gif

the picture doesent show it clearly but the cross beams *(pic#7 98-00, pic#5 01-02) are different they are configured to fit right under the top grill of the bumper and since the grills are different (98-00 onecross slit, 01-02 two cross slits) the beam wont fit diffeerent bumpers. When I swapped my bumper I had to get the shop to chop the beam off then everything fit nicely. So I dont see why this wont happen in reverse. Once you chop off that cross beam everything bolts up perfectly.

before
DSC01622.jpg

after
DSC01648.jpg

Last edited:

theaccordian

Reaction score
what happened to your bodykit and CF hood. I thought it looked nice for a bodykit

Back