Switching to Synthetic +other stuff

Souryu

Reaction score
Here goes,

So I recently swapped my engine out (2 weeks ago) with the same f23a1 with lower miles (76k to be exact). I want to switch to full synthetic oil though, Castrol 5w20 edge extended performance with titanium to be exact.

Now, I've driven the car about 2000 miles with no oil leaks, no coolant leaks, nothing. Everything's great so far, but I've heard a lot about synthetic oil wreaking havoc on gaskets and seals when you switch from conventional, so I'm worried.

I read an article earlier (posted below) about oil protection and zinc levels in oil, which I found extremely informative, and I'm just wondering what some of your experiences are.

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

Disclaimer: I know that this is a topic that is debated all over this forum, and I took quite a bit of time to search this topic up on this forum and on other forums, but I couldn't find anything definitive. So I'm just asking for help. Thank's in advance 6ga

Sino

Reaction score
Didn't see anything in there about problems stemming from going conventional to synthetic. In fact in the first chapter he mentions a buddy with a corvette who did switch conventional to synthetic and had absolutely no issues.

Didn't read the entire massive page but it seems he's working on what effect zinc has on engines. When I was looking up how I should go about breaking in my overhauled F23 recently I got the distinct impression that high zinc oils were recommended only for breaking in an engine, usually when talking about flat tappet cam engines.

I wouldn't worry at all about switching conventional to synthetic. I know Amsoil says theirs is compatible with any synthetic or conventional.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Souryu

Reaction score
Thank you for the helpful words my friend. I ended up buying some mobil 1 synthetic 5w20 (It ranked higher) and I'm going to be changing my oil later so, thanks again.

CyrusSaurusRex

Reaction score
I've switched from conventional to synthetic in the past when I first got my car. Previous owner used conventional for 70k miles and I cold turkey just switched it to Mobil 1 as soon as the first oil change was due. No problems at all and still running just fine! :thumbsup:

Back