tail lights and dash dimmer wont turn on

jasonjs

Reaction score
i installed new stereo now tail lights and dimmer were gauges are dont work

finch13

Reaction score
You can't connect the dimmer wire in the radio harness. Clip the wire and replace fuse #9 in the passenger fuse panel.

jasonjs

Reaction score
You can't connect the dimmer wire in the radio harness. Clip the wire and replace fuse #9 in the passenger fuse panel.

i appreciate the help but i dont really understand the first part You can't connect the dimmer wire in the radio harness. Clip the wire sorry i dont know much about cars

finch13

Reaction score
There is a dimmer/illumination wire that tells the deck to dim the lights when you turn your headlights or parking lights on. You can't have the wire connected because it will overload the circuit when you turn the headlights or parking lights on. So disconnect it from the deck and replace the fuse and you're all good.

jasonjs

Reaction score
im not sure if were talking about the same dimmer. im talking about the one thats on the dash that lets you see all your gages at night ..i also have a check engine im guessing because tail lights dont go on when i turn my lights on

finch13

Reaction score
I know exactly what you're talking about because when I installed my deck I had the same exact problem. If fuse #9 in the passenger box is blown, then you need to disconnect the dimmer wire in the radio harness. That wire is on the same circuit as the lights for the gauges and your tail lights.

jasonjs

Reaction score
thanks that's what it was i was just looking at the drivers side.. check engine is on because one of my tail lights is no good i appreciate the help problem fixed

finch13

Reaction score
The check engine light will not come on for brake lights. It only comes on for eginge and transmission trouble codes, which would need to be scanned at Autozone or Napa or a shop.

There is an actual "brake lamp" bulb that comes on when a brake light is out.

jasonjs

Reaction score
i disconnected battery and connected and check engine is gone could the blown fuse turn on check engine?

Last edited:

finch13

Reaction score
Nope. You cleared the code. If the problem with the engine or transmission still exists, the light will come back on after a few driving cycles.

Back