Taillight color change DIY

Akingkhan

Reaction score
Ok so I did my 1st set of taillights all red.
image_zpsd42a8e17.jpg

Today I started working on a set of taillights I picked up about a month ago. They had tint on them alredy so first I had to sand it off. Here was the process 80, 180, 400, 1000, 2000 all were wet sanded. With the lenses all cleaned I hit them with air compressor to blow off any debris, then a quick wipe down with a rag & some acetone.

image_zps74aa0be3.jpg

The one on the left is after the sanding. The one on the right is with the old tint still on it.

All preped & ready to go.
image_zps443b945e.jpg

First coat of transparent red & black applied. I waited 15 minutes between coats.
image_zps00f0da03.jpg

Second coat of transparent red & black.
image_zps7f5d2ee5.jpg

To finish it off I gave it a coat of clear. To make it more of a satin finish I shot it faster & a little further away.
image_zpsc5362ba7.jpg

This is what the lenses turned out like compared to my old set
image_zps83dc35c5.jpg

What they look like installed on my car.
image_zpsa873fb21.jpg

It's still a tough choice both look good but I think ill rock the tinted ones for awhile.
image_zps72669f51.jpg

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
The tinted tails look great man, I'd rock em too. Next time save yourself some sandpaper and time, and use acetone off the bat to remove any laquer/tint from tail lights. Sanding that stuff off is tedious and can damage lenses, whereas acetone does wonders in just a few swipes of a few clean towels. Gets it ALL off and does not damage plastic :thumbsup:.

Last edited:

Akingkhan

Reaction score
Shit I wish I knew that when before, I didn't even think about trying that.. Good call next time ill try the acetone 1st.

cfox28

Reaction score
i think it turned out pretty nice, I'm glad you didn't black them out completely. that said I think i might like them even better with just the first coat, idk though. this is probably an obvious answer, but what tinting products did you use?

Akingkhan

Reaction score
i think it turned out pretty nice, I'm glad you didn't black them out completely. that said I think i might like them even better with just the first coat, idk though. this is probably an obvious answer, but what tinting products did you use?

I picked up some transparent red & black spray paint from a local hobby shop. It's made for painting the shells of those little gas powered cars & trucks. Ill go get some pics of the cans from the shop because I threw the ones I used away. They have pretty much every color you can think of.
image_zps7197ff9b.jpg

image_zpsd334abc2.jpg

image_zpsaf46424a.jpg

Last edited:

cfox28

Reaction score
hmm thats cool, it'd be interesting to see what the other colors might look like over red tails..probably pretty bad, but who knows

I wonder how this paint will hold up against the elements, I think shooting a final clear was probably a good idea

I think VHT and duplicolor make tint sprays for tailights, but i know that vht gets dark quick

Akingkhan

Reaction score
This was the same stuff I used for my other set of tails that I did in all red & they turned out great & are still holding up.

The cool thing about this stuff is that they have pearls, metallic, & neon. Check out all the colors
image_zps5b3e378f.jpg

Last edited:
Back