The H22 is dead!!! Kind of

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Umm...just cuz it won't start doesn't mean you spun a bearing and I've never heard of H22's being notorious for that. D16's and H23's are more prone to spun bearings than your H22. Put it in neutral and turn the crank w/ a wrench and listen. Easiest and fastest way to check for a spun bearing is drain the oil and pull the pan.

I'm putting my money on something else being the problem, I'll say...fuel pump or ignition related. I'll assume that unless you plan on sleeving the motor your only options are type-s pistons/rods. Other than that, you're looking at throwing down some serious dough unless you swap out to another motor.

5thGenAccord

Reaction score
I have heard of a lot of H22's spinning bearings. Well anyway you must have missed me saying that the whole engine was locked up. I can't get the crank to move period. So I would say that it's done. Type-S is nice but Mahle looks nice too. I will be looking for 9k after all of this mess.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
lol - I just find it amazing that you think that somehow you managed to spin a bearing going down the street b/c your car was stalling out.

Does it make any sound when you try and start it? Fuel pump, battery, anything?

Last edited:

5thGenAccord

Reaction score
UPDATE Well the engine is out. I yanked it early Thursday evening. Yesterday I pulled every thing off except the head and the bottom end. I should have the head off today. The crank to my suprise looks 180 out but I don't have my honda manual around to check it. I'll be able to check it when the head is off. Chances are I'm reading the crank wrong, since it doesn't look like the valves are bent, but I really can't tell much looking through the intake and exhaust ports on the head. My Exedy stage one clutch still looks in a amazing condition but its getting replaced. A couple of things need replaced while the engine is out, I think I screwed up an axle its a pain in the *** to fix too, and a new ball joint. Also this POS auto timing belt tensioner is getting trashed. What a worthless part and a real pain in the ***. If you plan on installing an H22 make sure to get rid of this POS and go with a manual tensioner from a H23. More updates forth coming. My uncle wants me to stroke this thing, :huh: he must be nuts unless he is going to resleeve the block for me :D .

Last edited:

5thGenAccord

Reaction score
Here is another update. I only thought I would get the head off yesterday (Sat.) I was wrong I had the head off in an hour :D . So I kept working and I have the block nearly stripped a couple of very minor things have to come off. So the good news it doesn't look like I bent any valves. Thats all the good news though. After taking the cams off I noticed that the exhaust cams cut some deep grooves in the rocker arms. Luckly the cams aren't worn very much, you can see it but its not a problem. The intake side cams are just starting to wear the rocker arms. So I gotta replace all of them or atleast 75% of them :furious: . Other than that the head seems to check out fine, but I did notice the exhaust valves were slightly digging into the pistons. So I might just remove the exhaust side valves and make sure they aren't bent (they don't seem to be though). Working on the bottom end was a real pain. But after persistence a crow bar, a hammer, and some swearing I finally got the crank out. Then the real fun began. My Uncle and I got all the rods and pistons out. Rod three's bearing was an absolute disaster (this one definately spun). Rod two and four's bearing were about to go (I kept one just so Greg or Drew could look at it). Rod one's bearing looked brand new. If you think that was all the bad news well its not. After pulling the pistons I checked the cylinder walls and they are scored and scratched pretty badly. Cylinder One was the best while Three and Four are pretty bad. So now I gotta find someone in Ohio that can hone FRM cylinder walls or pony up the dough to get the block resleeved. Also I gotta get the crank sent out. I am watching an iron sleeved H22 block on ebay depending on the price I might go after it. Well back to my research I gotta bunch of stuff to work out before I start buying parts.

Back