Thoughts on the exhaust.

ib042129

Reaction score
Ok. I know that considering what I posted about my transmission, I should not be talking about spending money on power mods, but I had this on my mind for a while.

Basically, to make more power, my engine needs a bigger exhaust piping. The shop that tuned my engine suggested getting a 3" exhaust. (Acutally aparently a lot of H22 people get that.)
My problem is taht I have a performance exhaust already and it is crazy loud. If I get bigger piping, I think it would get even louder.
So I was trying to think of a way to get the maximum flow with the minimum sound volume.
Do you think I can get the 3" piping that would then route to the twin mufflers from a v6 accord or let's say a TL? And do you think this would give me the same performance result?

Any opinions on this?
Thanks

Silver_Ghost

Reaction score
Nah thats not such a good idea...unless ur car is turbocharged. If the diameter of your exhaust piping is too large u will lose power.You need some back pressure. a good size is 2.25". Maybe even 2.5".

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Privet Ivan,

Whether you have a H22, of F23, if it's an I4 and you have no turbo setup, 3" piping will do you worse than better. It will be louder and also you will lose power, resulting from loss in backpressure. A prime piping size for non-turbo H22/F23 is at most 2.5".

If you have N/A work done to your motor though, thicker piping may benefit you. I am not sure what setup you are running, but I know that unless you're seriously N/A or turbo, that anything over 2.5" will not be good for you as a result.

The dual mufflers may make it a bit quiter if you decide to go custom 3" route, but it will still reduce your power gains, since you lose backpressure. Again depending on what performance mods you have done (N/A or turbo).

- Nikita

Silver_Ghost

Reaction score
Yea ^ thats a better way of explaining it.haha. And when u do get i/h/e dont have such high standards bcuz the MOST you MIGHT gain is 7-10hp. And u wont even notice that until you get high in the rpm's

ib042129

Reaction score
OK guys. Look. I know that is what almost everybody on the forums always says. Don't make pipes too large.
BUT! If you check around on Prelude builds, even naturally aspirated ones, they all go for 3" exhausts. The key, is to have a tunable ECU and adjust for the mod.
Yes the gain will be maybe 5-10 hp since my internals are stock right now. Maybe more significant if I ever go with cams, or something more substantial.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Well bro, I guess you answered your own question. If you are doing N/A tuning and you can adjust the ECU for it, then go ahead and do it. I just know that usually you don't want 3" unless you are N/A internal build, or turbo.

Would you mind posting the specs of your setup, so we can get a better idea?

- Nikita

98acclude

Reaction score
yes, I've learned that you do make power with a 3in exaust on H series motors even on a stock h22. Belonging to h22squad.com that's basically what everyone on there runs lol... Im in the process of sourcing myself one too. Good luck mang

ib042129

Reaction score
Well bro, I guess you answered your own question. If you are doing N/A tuning and you can adjust the ECU for it, then go ahead and do it. I just know that usually you don't want 3" unless you are N/A internal build, or turbo.

Would you mind posting the specs of your setup, so we can get a better idea?

- Nikita

I run an chipped obd1 H22, so far it's just i/h/e, lighter flywheel, plugs/wires, and slightly bigger injectors.

OK. The thing is, I am pretty certain the 3" piping would make me power.
But I am also fairly certain that a single 3" pipe going to a HUGE muffler will be
loud as hell.
I am trying to get peoples thoughts on using the fact that our cars in v6 form came with twin mufflers. If anyone can give me feedback how a single big pipe will compare to a single big pipe that is then split into two smaller pipes.
That is I am hoping that If I do 3" piping as far as I can, that would then be routed into TWO stock accord v6 or maybe TL mufflers would give me the same result but with less noise.

slow f23

Reaction score
i think your shop is just trying to get you to add more to the bill

Back