Thoughts on tranny choice

Hoff Daddy

Reaction score
My favorite Honda transmission has to be the t2t4, and if it would work with what I want I would use it but I'm feeling a little crazy. This is just an idea now, my accord would crap if I tried this, so new car and time maybe it will be a dream come true. So, I'm thinking whatever they had in the 2005-6 DC5 Integra Type-R. That will flip my f23 around and make for a lot of room in the front if I build my crossmember (I would like to see how it would work without making one). I like a lot of room, a lot of room for a centrifugal supercharger and a air-to-water intercooler with methanol injection. It would be a lot easier to route everything, plus shorter intake/exhaust.
My question about the transmission is how does it feel compared to a t2t4? I know that's like comparing apples to oranges, but the t2t4 accelerates good and has plenty of speed in the top end, I assume a six speed could squeeze more out though. I'd end up changing the final drive and lsd and maybe put a straighter cut on 1st and 2nd.
That's about it, I've always wanted either a g23 or a turbo Honda but I just fell in love with centrifugal superchargers again. For the engine I was thinking a slightly destroked and bored g23, good rods, good springs, maybe a little bit of cam, and I'd have to find some good piston heads. A lot will be fabricated by me.

Bense

Reaction score
the t2t4 is geared nearly identical (excluding the final drive) to an integra GSR trans.

It comes of no surprise that both the b18c and the h22a have a rod/stroke ratio of ~1.58

The k20a2 has a slightly higher r/s ratio of 1.62, so in theory, that engine would rev higher, and have a closer-ratio transmission.

The DC5-R trans is going to be more comparable to the EuroR h22a7 trans.

In all the transmission projects that I've done (I ran about 16 different setups in my civic, 2 in my accord), the first thing I'd be reminded of during my first drive was how accustomed I had become to my previous setup.

When you drive a car for years with the relatively same setup, you get used to the shifting cadence. I got rid of my em1 in the Fall of 2004. I swear that if I were to get back in one again, shifting would feel more natural than anything else.

I imagine that what you're describing is very similar.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
One problem...K20's spin opposite direction of the F23. You can mount the F23 anyway you want, but unless you figure out how to make it run backwards, it won't work. Plus whatever adapter kit needed to make it mount to the engine, clutch, flywheel, and if the crank and output shaft have the correct number of splines to mate up.

So...just swap our the gears in your fave trans for better performance and less $$

Hoff Daddy

Reaction score
One problem...K20's spin opposite direction of the F23. You can mount the F23 anyway you want, but unless you figure out how to make it run backwards, it won't work. Plus whatever adapter kit needed to make it mount to the engine, clutch, flywheel, and if the crank and output shaft have the correct number of splines to mate up.

So...just swap our the gears in your fave trans for better performance and less $$

Really? Look at it from the timing belts, intake on the left, exhaust on the right. They both spin the same.
I've never touched a k though, I might be wrong.

Back