Thud noise when launching?

rdxd

Reaction score
Hey fam!

So I just got used to manual transmission and jst for lols was taught how to launch my car by fellow member and friend eeeman

When launched theres a loud THUD noise (Clutch down, 1st gear, Revved to about 3-4k RPM, drop clutch, THUD, wheel spin, take-off, ~6.5k RPM)

Wondering if this is normal or if theres something thats not being performed correctly/wrong with the car? -

NOTE that a brand new clutch has been put in which has done less than 1000kms on it.

P.S. not hoons, jst wanted to be aware ;) !

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
How much less than 1000km? The break in period for a new clutch is around 800km or 500mi (general rule of thumb in my experience). So unless you are positive you are past that, I wouldn’t be dropping the clutch like that. Actually I wouldn’t do that period, as I’m guessing you didn’t put in a competition clutch kit since you just learned how to drive stick (makes it a bit trickier). An OEM clutch is not designed to be operated quite that aggressively, and it could fail prematurely.

Brimstone Brown

Reaction score
I agree with both previous statements. Take a good look at your motor mounts. If this is the problem remove the top half of your intake manifold to replaced the rear mount...so much easier. Might as well clean iacv and egr runner while your in there.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Dropping the clutch is hard on more than just the clutch. Mounts, axles, trans, everything. if the wheels spin it wasn't a good launch.

KombatVirus

Reaction score
My friend had a similar issue on a Nissan he bought.. it turns out the clutch was gone, needed to be replaced.

I dont see how even a new learner could kill a clutch in less than 1000km, especially if I didnt when I was learning, but I suppose its possible. If the above suggestions dont work out, you might want to consider contacting the shop that did the work on it.

rdxd

Reaction score
How much less than 1000km? The break in period for a new clutch is around 800km or 500mi (general rule of thumb in my experience). So unless you are positive you are past that, I wouldn’t be dropping the clutch like that. Actually I wouldn’t do that period, as I’m guessing you didn’t put in a competition clutch kit since you just learned how to drive stick (makes it a bit trickier). An OEM clutch is not designed to be operated quite that aggressively, and it could fail prematurely.

Probaby JUST under 1000, im pretty sure its set in, and it might've jst been a one off because i tried launching it today and no THUD sound. Yeah I'm not going to be doing that alot just to have some fun. I just dont want it to be overly - detrimental to the car esp if it sounds like that - thanks for the feedback

I agree with both previous statements. Take a good look at your motor mounts. If this is the problem remove the top half of your intake manifold to replaced the rear mount...so much easier. Might as well clean iacv and egr runner while your in there.

I"m not too motor savvy is there a guide i can follow? thanks for the feedback

Dropping the clutch is hard on more than just the clutch. Mounts, axles, trans, everything. if the wheels spin it wasn't a good launch.

We were aiming for wheel spin :big_banana_Dance:

My friend had a similar issue on a Nissan he bought.. it turns out the clutch was gone, needed to be replaced.

I dont see how even a new learner could kill a clutch in less than 1000km, especially if I didnt when I was learning, but I suppose its possible. If the above suggestions dont work out, you might want to consider contacting the shop that did the work on it.

CLutch is fresh, i think its still settling in, late phase of settling.

Na clutch is definitely not killed, I think its just the technique adopted for the launch attempt - as mentioned earlier it sounded normal and clean with no thump when i attempted this morning.

Thanks again everyone! will keep you all posted on this :)

P.S: ride's getting lowered within the next week or two :drink_nl:

Back