Time for Timing Belt Change?

rwong410

Reaction score
What's the longest you've gone without changing the timing belt? I've just crossed into 100K and was told by a mechanic, after doing some routine service, that my timing belt had "cracks" and that it was time to get it done. Now, I know it's time to get it done and I have a timing belt kit coming in, my question is, would it be safe to drive my car around for a week or two and putting in about 400 miles on it without fear of having that belt snap on me?

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
if i were u, i will only drive it if its really neccessary since u said it has cracks in it. Cuz if it snaps ur engine is poof. :run:

rwong410

Reaction score
if i were u, i will only drive it if its really neccessary since u said it has cracks in it. Cuz if it snaps ur engine is poof. :run:

Well, they claim there are cracks but I honestly don't know. The manual says to change it at 105K, but is it realistic to change it at 105K or should it have been done earlier?

henreeezy xp

Reaction score
they recommend to have it changed at 70k... it's best to be safe and use another car for a week or two... if the belt snaps, you'll have to spend extra on a new motor and stuff (i think)

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
are u serious. A mechanic always lies when ur paying him. Sure, the belt should be changed at 105k miles. But I doubt that he checked ur belt. First of all, you can't usually tell if a belt will break by just checking visually. Second, just to get that plastic cover off is a pain in the a$$. I seriously doubt he took the time to look at ur timing belt with a routine service. They probably looked at your mileage and told you what he tells everyone else. "Your timing belt is cracked, [u better give me more money]"

And yes, if your belt breaks your engine is usually trashed. But you could probably get a longblock with low miles for around 300$. Cheaper than the cost of the timing belt service itself.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If it didnt snap by now and its got cracks, more than likely it wont snap in the next 400 miles. If your driving is like mine, thats only 2 weeks.

Buy the Timing belt kit from TAS - take it to a shop or DIY.

99F23VTech

Reaction score
are u serious. A mechanic always lies when ur paying him. Sure, the belt should be changed at 105k miles. But I doubt that he checked ur belt. First of all, you can't usually tell if a belt will break by just checking visually. Second, just to get that plastic cover off is a pain in the a$$. I seriously doubt he took the time to look at ur timing belt with a routine service. They probably looked at your mileage and told you what he tells everyone else. "Your timing belt is cracked, [u better give me more money]"

This is almost guranteed. Every mechanic will tell you anything to get you to pay him. Even with your serp. belts if they have the SMALLEST crack they will tell you it is trash. If i were you i would take the cover off (even though it is a pain) and check everything your self. and take your time. you can't just look and say its good, find a snake light and check it good. If you can't see anything find a new mechanic!!!!!!!!!

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Theres a timing belt kit for sale in FS section.. check it! :coffee:

Mine's almost at 100k now, it should be something I look into as well haha.

rwong410

Reaction score

Mine's almost at 100k now, it should be something I look into as well haha.

Yeah, it's for sale by me. LOL. I'm actually gonna take it into a shop to get it done this weekend for about $500, I don't wanna risk it since the kit is coming in on the 17th and the weekends are the only times I'm available to take my car into a shop and I need my car to get to work and all.

99F23VTech

Reaction score

Yeah, it's for sale by me. LOL. I'm actually gonna take it into a shop to get it done this weekend for about $500, I don't wanna risk it since the kit is coming in on the 17th and the weekends are the only times I'm available to take my car into a shop and I need my car to get to work and all.

:ohsnap: Russianred :fail:

Last edited:
Back