Tips on Clutch Master Clynder Removal & Install

305S0L

Reaction score
Whatsup 6GA,

I recently purchased a 2002 Accord Coupe EX 5speed. I bought the car knowing the master cylinder needed to be replaced. So today I attempted to replace the Clutch Master Cylinder. As anticipated, I ran into major issues with the amount of space between the firewall and shock tower. After 4 hours of trying to complete the job, I managed to break the clutch hard line off the MC. -_-

I know I'm going to have to replace the clutch line with an oem one or a braided SS line. For the sake of time, I'm going OEM. I managed to find a local dealer that the parts dept opens on Sundays and hopefully they'll have a replacement line (Part No. 46960-S84-A44).

Can anyone on 6GA please confirm the proper way of installing the clutch hard line + clutch master cylinder?

Steps I took:
1) Remove (2) 10mm bolts behind the clutch pedal
2) Remove cotter pin and bolt from pedal
3) Remove MC Reservoir and Relay under the hood
4) Remove cotter pin that will detach clutch hard line
5) Pull the MC out of the firewall.
6) On the New MC, attach the clutch hardline and Reservoir.
7) Ideally, you should be able to Put the NEW MC in the firewall.

Did I miss anything?
I manged to break the clutch hard line from trying to "coax" the MC into the small area allotted. Originally, I put the MC in the firewall with the reservoir attached only. But I could not attach the Clutch hardline with the cotter pin to the MC mounted in the firewall. It was damn near impossible.

Any tips on this? Hopefully I can get the accord running by tomorrow.
Many Thanks in advance!

Picture of New MC with broken Clutch line fitting:
epicfail_zpsf35d9253.jpg

Last edited:

305S0L

Reaction score
Not sure if this will help but here it is anyways...

Clutch master cylinder is page 3.

Thanks for this. I had read the Clutch master cylinder instructions but still no success.

Any tips on removing the clutch line entirely?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've tried a couple different things...

1 - Install hardline and route it around the motor, "attempt" to shove the MC in between the shock tower and firewall with it all connected. It's difficult, you'll scrape the crap out of your knuckles, etc.

2 - Route the new hardline but don't connect it to MC. Install new MC and resevoir. Push hardline into MC. Holding that pin carefully, use a screwdriver or long pry bar for leverage to push that pin in once you have it lined up.

There is no easy way to do it b/c of the minimal clearance. Make sure you bench bleed the new MC first.

305S0L

Reaction score
I've tried a couple different things...

1 - Install hardline and route it around the motor, "attempt" to shove the MC in between the shock tower and firewall with it all connected. It's difficult, you'll scrape the crap out of your knuckles, etc.

2 - Route the new hardline but don't connect it to MC. Install new MC and resevoir. Push hardline into MC. Holding that pin carefully, use a screwdriver or long pry bar for leverage to push that pin in once you have it lined up.

There is no easy way to do it b/c of the minimal clearance. Make sure you bench bleed the new MC first.

Thank you for the advice. I attempted both ways you described today. Im going to give route 2 more of a shot though. Maybe theres a pressure plier that is thin and long enough that can hold the pin and secure it.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I used both hands squeezed in there. One holding the pin to help line it up, the other holding a pry bar as leverage to push it in. After about 2hrs I finally lucked out and it went in.

305S0L

Reaction score
I used both hands squeezed in there. One holding the pin to help line it up, the other holding a pry bar as leverage to push it in. After about 2hrs I finally lucked out and it went in.

i wish i would've been so lucky lol. My hands are all cut up from all my attempts.
Thanks for the tips!

305S0L

Reaction score
Good morning 6GA,

Called the 2 honda dealers that open on Sundays and they don't have the clutch line in stock. Going to try my luck at some junkyards.

A friend also suggested repairing the line with a flaring kit.
Can anyone chime on this? :coffee:

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good morning 6GA,

Called the 2 honda dealers that open on Sundays and they don't have the clutch line in stock. Going to try my luck at some junkyards.

A friend also suggested repairing the line with a flaring kit.
Can anyone chime on this? :coffee:

You could since it is literally just brake line but I think it'd be such a pain in the *** to try and tighten all that together and make it fit in that little space.

You could always try the SS route

Back