Tips to save gas

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
As for the windows....Rolling them down only prevents drag at speeds above about 55mph...anything lower then that and roll them down...but once you get to around 55 it is better to use A/C then have windows down...mythbusters FTW

I would say another gas saving technique would be only drive highways :D haha

vtec_accord99

Reaction score
00Accord4cyl said:
As for the windows....Rolling them down only prevents drag at speeds above about 55mph...anything lower then that and roll them down...but once you get to around 55 it is better to use A/C then have windows down...mythbusters FTW

I would say another gas saving technique would be only drive highways :D haha

yea i love that show lol they proved it wit explores i think lol

dynasty

Reaction score
^^ you guys saw the mythbuster about using cooking oil for gas? LOL.

does anyone has turbonator before? i don't even know if this works out but want to try it out.

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
i've heard of turbonator's being loose and then flying down into the IM and TB...and then you get the rest.

i actually wanted to propose the idea to a physics professor but never got a response.

the concept is that if you swirl air it becomes more effective, but my thinkin is the turbonator doesn't swirl the air, rather it creates turbulance which makes air less efficient.

Jeffro

Reaction score
FallenAngelHIM said:
i've heard of turbonator's being loose and then flying down into the IM and TB...and then you get the rest.

i actually wanted to propose the idea to a physics professor but never got a response.

the concept is that if you swirl air it becomes more effective, but my thinkin is the turbonator doesn't swirl the air, rather it creates turbulance which makes air less efficient.

If that is true, then wouldn't an intake pipe with ridges in it to swirl the air be the same concept?

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
well, no because it's ridges. the turbonator...or tornado i'm thinking of, has this fan like thing. it's a circular piece with fan like blades inside. the idea is that air rushes through it, hits it and swirls. not sure if that works like i said before.

ridges wouldn't do the same thing, unless it was a screw-type ridge like on OBX throttle body spacer. this concept also leads me to be a bit skeptical of throttle body spacers with this ridge.

a buddy of mine with a Camaro said these things cause too much turbulance. you want a smoother surface as to reduce this and have smooth air flow.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tire/wheel size, air pressure, gas, oil, your right foot, drafting, and basic mechanical upkeep will get you good gas mileage.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
jdm_dynasty said:
well, of course modifying to increase hp will lose extra gas. it's just common sense. but since you have a cat-back, the ratio would be different. i'm not sure how much difference it is since i don't have a cat-back. i don't want to say something that i don't even know so i'm sure other members could explain to ya.
Not necessarily true. Most bolt ons make your engine more effcient. So in actuallity, many mods can actually increase your fuel economy. This assumes you drive the same way, not open it up to hear your new exhaust every stop sign.

Also, yes, it's a good idea to keep the rpms down. But if you are flooring it and shifting at 3k, verses 1/8 thottle shifting at 5k, your going to see better mileage at 5k part throttle. Load will eat up gas way quicker than rpm. Of course if you don't drive a stick, your tranny will only stay in gear under load.

A/C, tire pressure, clean airfilter, etc are good ones. That and taking out any excess weight and all that.

But........The key is to not drive like an ***. If you slam the breaks, you probably slam the gas as well. Don't weave through traffic, on and off the gas, when you hit a light, pull alway like your gramma, etc. And when you come to a red light, slow down ahead of time and hope it turns green. Do this at every light, etc. That will get you more mpg than anything.

theaccordian

Reaction score
also anticipating lights are key also. If you come to a red light but your still far away, theres no need to keep accelerating or to punch it youre gonna have to stop anyway, so just let off the thottle, slow down, and cruise to the light and by the time you get to the light the light will turn green, so you dont have to stop and go, you just keep it at a cruise. also with stale green lights, its gonna turn red soon, so pick up the speed. the key is, dont accelerate when youre just gonna end up stopping, try to keep your car rolling and do as little stop and go driving as you can.

Back