Torque Converter

tnguyen600

Reaction score
Hero,

I just dropped my car off at the shop today to do get the transmission rebuilt. The torque converter needs to be replaced from what I understand. So my question is, would me getting a aftermarket converter be beneficial or just bs. I haven't done research on them yet, but I will if i know it might do some good. Comments are welcomed. Gracias.

-Tho

finch13

Reaction score
I don't even know if they make an aftermarket one?!? Or do you mean aftermarket OEM replacement?

I didn't know torque converters could wear out, I thought it was just a snail/turbine looking thing that spins when the engine pushes fluid into it...

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
thats whats wrong with my auto tranny, but i'm not paying to fix it.
I'm just going to do the 5mt swap soon.

tnguyen600

Reaction score
from what I understand, when you rebuild the trans, you need to replace the torque converter. I know they sell aftermarket torque converters for higher stalls? duno if thats right, but i just duno if they make one for honda and if they do, is it worth getting.

I mean, the converter is being replaced regardless. so if i can, i might as well get a high performance one?

TurboAV6

Reaction score
from what I understand, when you rebuild the trans, you need to replace the torque converter. I know they sell aftermarket torque converters for higher stalls? duno if thats right, but i just duno if they make one for honda and if they do, is it worth getting.

I mean, the converter is being replaced regardless. so if i can, i might as well get a high performance one?

Do you plan on boosting your car? If you do and your keeping your auto tranny a higher torque converter will only allow you to launch at higher boost, and break boost to charge your turbo much faster.

If you do not plan on boosting your car, it is not as big of a difference. However, if you get a better higher torque converter, anything between a 3 grand and 4 grand would only allow you to launch at higher horsepower period. Plus the tranny is the weakest part of the J30A1 and if you blow your torque converter you blow your whole tranny so I think that you should invest in the torque converter before anything else on your transmission.

The higher the torque converter the better your launch, if you plan on racing this car anytime or anywhere get the best torque converter you can afford. I have a 4 grand stall and it launches better than an all wheel drive talon when done right, like no bodies business bro.

nixed007

Reaction score
^ who's converter are you running? I have heard mixed reviews about level 10 and i haven't seen too many others.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
for the v6, you need to make sure you get the "new" series of hardware they put out in like 01 that (supposedly) fixed the transmission's desire to self-destruct. i think it was something in the clutch packs? anyway, if you were to go to the dealership to get it done (or if you had an acura that was newer and still under warranty) they would give you the upgraded stuff.

maybe someone with a v6 can explain it better...

for torque converters...just get a stock one.

nyknick1015

Reaction score
you cant BUY a new converter i dont think... to buy a stock one is gonna run you 300+ brand new... get a used one hand send it out to get rebuilt... those converters taht you see on ebay or where ever, they are not actual converters, that is services to get yours rebuilt for a higher stall that stock which stock sucks

swollen_cu

Reaction score
the v6 transmission is fragile arleady, and addding a stall converter will make it even more fragile! basically, the transmission slips until it hits the stall speed rating of the converter. Not good for daily driving. I drive a 89 foxbody right now, and i used to have a 3000 stall in it, not fun for city driving at all, and you MUST run a transmission cooler at a minimum!

Also, you'd most likely have to get the torque converter custom built if you want a stall. My uncle does that down here at his transmission shop. I know how he does it, but im not letting his little secret out! =P

Last edited:
Back