total noob question on subwoofer installation

cyen008

Reaction score

jdmcg3

Reaction score
all subs need an amp to power em. youll also need a wire kit. and do you have an aftermarket stereo? if not you need a converter to make that work with your stock deck. it hardwires into the rear speakers.. honestly i forgot what its call.. maybe someone else can chime in on that.

but stay away from the "dual" sub. they suck. and honestly look into two 12s.. our cars are kinda big. and if you drive on the freeway alot.. you wont hear a single 10.. trust me i use to have a 10.. kept it in for about a week and half and then had to go back to my 12s..

just save up a little longer. and buy a full sub kit (sub, box, amp, wires) itll be around 400ish for a decent setup.

ooorrr if you really want a single 10.. well i got a JBL GT4 series sub/box with matching amp.. its right around the prices you were looking to pay for just that pioneer

pm if interested..

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
Get a sub that suites your needs. If you want alot of bass or just enough to make you happy.

Also, don't get those types of boxes, they're over priced junk. If you can, just make your own. But since you said you are uneducated about suewoofers, you can find some decent ones online on eBay, craigslist, or Amazon.

Read up on Sealed enclosures and Ported boxes. Everyone has their own perspective on them.

Also take measurements on boxes, enough room for the subwoofer/s you are getting. Don't waste money on an oversized box if you sub doesn't need it.

The only things you will need to install a new sound system is...

-Subwoofer
-Sub Box
-Amplifier
-Amp Kit (use spare wires for - and + on subs). Get 10-4 gauge wire kits. There's no need to go 0g unless you are putting out some crazy system set-up.
-Extra terminals to connect your subs through the box to the amp
-About 4 hours if it's your first time. (Google how to install your set-up and you should be good from there)

Here's a little something of my system...

-Ported Box built to JL 13W7 spec
-JL Audio 13W7
-4 Gauge wires
-Alpine PDX 1.1000
-Pioneer DEH-710BT

Whole set-up cost me a good thousand dollar, and i'm still not done fitting everything correctly in my trunk.

It's more than enough BANG for what suits me.

I'd say get yourself some kickers comps just to start out with and experiment with them.

Also read up on Ohms and RMS and not just by how much WATTS they produce. Watts mean nothing if they can't provide enough RMS constantly.

Last edited:

cyen008

Reaction score
i see i see, thanks alot guys! now i have alot better idea of what goes into installing/purchasing a sound system now

F350spyder

Reaction score
I had 2 12"s and they were the perfect amount of bass. Agreed on going with 4 gauge wire for a basic setup. Most of the panels in the car come out relatively easily. The only thing i would add is if you start running into light flickers due to the power draw on your battery, upgrade to an Optima Red or Yellow top and that should take care of you. Also, make sure to run the power wires down one side of the car and the audio cables from your head unit down the other side so you don't get interference between the two.

Macsrule15

Reaction score
Get a sub that suites your needs. If you want alot of bass or just enough to make you happy.

Also, don't get those types of boxes, they're over priced junk. If you can, just make your own. But since you said you are uneducated about suewoofers, you can find some decent ones online on eBay, craigslist, or Amazon.

Read up on Sealed enclosures and Ported boxes. Everyone has their own perspective on them.

Also take measurements on boxes, enough room for the subwoofer/s you are getting. Don't waste money on an oversized box if you sub doesn't need it.

The only things you will need to install a new sound system is...

-Subwoofer
-Sub Box
-Amplifier
-Amp Kit (use spare wires for - and + on subs). Get 10-4 gauge wire kits. There's no need to go 0g unless you are putting out some crazy system set-up.
-Extra terminals to connect your subs through the box to the amp
-About 4 hours if it's your first time. (Google how to install your set-up and you should be good from there)

Here's a little something of my system...

-Ported Box built to JL 13W7 spec
-JL Audio 13W7
-4 Gauge wires
-Alpine PDX 1.1000
-Pioneer DEH-710BT

Whole set-up cost me a good thousand dollar, and i'm still not done fitting everything correctly in my trunk.

It's more than enough BANG for what suits me.

I'd say get yourself some kickers comps just to start out with and experiment with them.

Also read up on Ohms and RMS and not just by how much WATTS they produce. Watts mean nothing if they can't provide enough RMS constantly.

+1 100%

nice little write up on what you need!

here is what i like to do.. go on crutchfield.com and find the sub you want then go to ebay with the model number and buy from there... do the same with the amp

then find a prefab box that suits the sub you are looking at on ebay (ported in my opinion)

then find a wiring kit that suits the amount of power you need on ebay most likely 8AWG or 4AWG

if you shoot me a total budget i will put you a few packages together for your choosing that will sound the best!

cyen008

Reaction score
+1 100%

nice little write up on what you need!

here is what i like to do.. go on crutchfield.com and find the sub you want then go to ebay with the model number and buy from there... do the same with the amp

then find a prefab box that suits the sub you are looking at on ebay (ported in my opinion)

then find a wiring kit that suits the amount of power you need on ebay most likely 8AWG or 4AWG

if you shoot me a total budget i will put you a few packages together for your choosing that will sound the best!

thanks, hmm would a 200$ budget get me a respectable sound system?

CG6>YourCar

Reaction score
@ Macsrule15, I like ported boxes as well, but TOO much bass in a sedan is ..yuck. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Macsrule15

Reaction score
too much bass in any car can be yuck it all has to do with the proportion of mids highs and bass... also dynamat or similar is some amazing ****;)

i just put together a full system for someone today

kicker comp sub, fosgate prime amp, ported box, and wiring kit for 220.. PM me if you want a full write up...

Back