Tps?

sweatyballs

Reaction score
Anyone know for sure, when we need to change our TPS (Throttle Positioning Sensor)? I would like to know if anyone has changed it out and were there any noticeable benefits?

I found this from an Ebay ad for the Blox TPS:
"BLOX THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR (TPS) 92-00 HONDA / ACURA B-SERIES ENGINES D-SERIES ENGINES H-SERIES ENGINES F-SERIES ENGINES ALL BLOX TPS SENSORS COMES WITH A 5-YEAR WARRANTY PART# BXIM-10400 BLOX TPS sensor comes with a 5-Year Warranty and new gasket to prevent moisture from harming the internal circuitry. TPS sensors have a limited life span and over time build up resistance which in turn give intermittent false signals to the ECU. TPS sensor comes with gasket. Faulty TPS can cause driveability problems such as hesitation, stalling, an erratic idle, pinging or knocking, no torque converter lockup, hard starting, an intermittent check engine light while driving, poor fuel economy, and generally poor engine performance. Erratic readings or momentary infinity or open readings indicate a defective sensor. Full continuity or zero ohms in either position would indicate a shorted sensor. If your vehicle is suffering from any of these symptoms then it is very possible your TPS is the problem. "

And also this one from Ebay as well: "This is a brand new replacement TPS sensor for your Honda/Acura vehicle. The sensor comes with a new gasket to prevent moisture from harming the internal circuitry. New bolts and washers are also included with the sensor. Old or worn out TPS sensors cause poor gas mileage, hesitation, stumbling, poor emissions and other performance related problems. TPS sensors have a limited life span and over time build up resistance which in turn give intermittent false signals to the ECU. If you have over 100k miles and your engine is experiencing the above symptoms your TPS sensor could be the culprit. Why buy a used TPS sensor with an unknown amount of use left in it? "

Here is a link to the install instructions : http://www.iapdirect.com/pictures/TPS_installation_instructions.pdf

(Copy and paste didn't work).

Bada$$VTec

Reaction score
thats the same Brand name i got on my V6 and i bought it off T.A.S. Auto when mine went bad

Drift

Reaction score
that TPS will probably work just fine. After you install it, you need to calibrate it. Do you know how to do that?

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
did you really make your user name sweatyballs.........

impliedfacepalmk.jpg

sweatyballs

Reaction score
did you really make your user name sweatyballs.........

impliedfacepalmk.jpg
From the image ,"This is my happy face!"

Unique screenname, I know. It gives a few chuckles, but it's an mainly an inside joke.

But back to the TPS thing... Are there any other way concrete symptoms that say hey hey " replace the TPS"? Shouldn't a check engine light come on saying low or abnormal voltage or resistance?

Last edited:

finch13

Reaction score
Why exactly are you changing it?

I'm not seeing any way to test it on AllData, if someone has a shop manual maybe they can look it up.

Drift

Reaction score
there is an easy way to test it.

Set up a voltage meter on the signal wire, and sweep the the throttle. (it works better with an analog voltage meter), it it hangs up, or seems to stop on a certain voltage or are, then your **** is fcked. If it sweeps from .5v-4.95v steadily, then its fine. Honestly I wouldnt replace it unless its throwing a code.

Also, Im hammered.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
drunk tech advise! :lawl:

mine was showing like 10-20% open throttle at idle hooked up to a scanner...i dont think it offered up a code, it was just showing a weird number. with the transmission all ****ed up, i dont know how much effect its having on the car :coffee:

slaiguy

Reaction score
"sooooooooo, im gonna need those TPS reports on my desk by saturday morning"

finch13

Reaction score
there is an easy way to test it.

Set up a voltage meter on the signal wire, and sweep the the throttle. (it works better with an analog voltage meter), it it hangs up, or seems to stop on a certain voltage or are, then your **** is fcked. If it sweeps from .5v-4.95v steadily, then its fine. Honestly I wouldnt replace it unless its throwing a code.

Also, Im hammered.

That's exactly what I was thinking of testing it, I just wasn't sure on the specs. Last time I had the scanner on my car I was reading 1% throttle and .49V at idle (750 RPM).

+1 on drunken troubleshooting! :beer2:

Back