Tranny go boom..

Grizzly

Reaction score
The tranny on my '98 has been slipping when cold, I thought I had a few thousand miles left in it and have been babying it. No such luck, it went boom this weekend, slips, slams, downshifts at random... it's done.

Going to yank it out of there today or tomorrow. I've been hunting the local yards for a used unit with no luck,plenty of 6gen's, transmissions all gone tho. I intend to do a complete motor / trans swap with that car, but right before christmas there isnt any money for it so I'm looking to rebuild it to get by until the spring.

Anyone have a good source for used trans or rebuild kits around the SGV? The only local join I've found is SyncroTech and I'm not tossing them a thousand bucks for a transmission I don't intend to keep.

imaricer:)

Reaction score
just go look on ebay. find someone who is sellin a h22, h23, or f23 motor w the tranny and ask how much they would sell the tranny to you alone.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^He's V6.

I'll have one available but it sounds like you're looking for local only.

Grizzly

Reaction score
6spd is the plan, but the cash for that won't be laying around until the spring.

Reaction score
if your going to spend the money to get an automatic replacment, then if i were you i would just go 6spd. :boink:

KO iNfAmOuS

Reaction score
is there really that much a difference in price between 6 speed swap and auto replacement?

Reaction score
hm idk. i dont own a V6 lol i figure it will be about the same if he gets the CL 6spd. if he went CL-S it might be a lil more.... -waits for experts to chime in-

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
from reading various 6spd swap threads, i've observed that the price can vary anywhere from $2,500 up to $5,000 depending on the type of transmission (7th gen 6spd, CL/TL 6spd, CL-S/TL-S 6spd), and if the person does the labor themselves or takes it to a shop.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
You'll spend the same, or $500 to $1500 more for the 6spd swap depending on a number of factors, but never have to worry about your tranny going out again, plus it's more fun.

Back