Tranny is about to drop...

Accordingly

Reaction score
So I was on my way to my GF's place, and my transmission began slipping like crazy. It goes through all the gears, but goes into neutral for like 5 seconds before each gear. I got it to her place, so Im gunna leave it there til I decide where to take it. I have a 98 4cyl auto, about 111,000 miles...

I'm toying with the idea in my head of doing a manual swap...Anyone on here done it and know any cost estimates? I'd love to do it, but if it takes to much time/money, I won't be able to. Any thoughts??

TheUAccord23

Reaction score
Yea, our auto trannies are garbage. At night, before i go to sleep, i say a little prayer for my tranny to bust so i can swap it out for an upgraded manual. Oh, i guy can dream . . .
I'm sure others will chime in and go into more detail. You'll pay the same for labor to fix it, or swap it, might actually come out cheaper if you can piece it together yourself

6genaccord

Reaction score
here's a little advice...just do the swap now!

I'm looking into it. I had a 98 auto before i totalled it, however my tranny problems went exactly like yours except at 60K miles.

Luckily it was under warranty and they did all the work but still I went through 4 transmissions, and 3 computers and nothing solved the slipping transmission. And I'm not exagerating...it was a mystery...anyway that nightmare was totalled...

pyaarawala

Reaction score
If you really want a 5spd, swap it out to a 5spd. Unless you get a great deal on labor (costs even more than the F23 tranny and all parts generally), it will be more expensive to do a 5spd swap.

The same thing happened to me and I had the option of spending $900 to rebuild my current transmission with a warranty. Or if I paid an extra $500-700 or so, I could swap to a 5spd.

mista jc

Reaction score
How do you guys drive daily? Driving habits? I rarely WOT my car unless trying to get on the fwy.. Mine's an 02 with 131k, 2 tranny flush and refill.

kconn

Reaction score
How do you guys drive daily? Driving habits? I rarely WOT my car unless trying to get on the fwy.. Mine's an 02 with 131k, 2 tranny flush and refill.

pedal to the metal baby!! I WOT all the time ;) :driving:

simplicity

Reaction score

I've never flushed the transmission. I don't think it is recommended on our trannys. I'd recommend following the severe driving condition maintenance schedule in terms of caring for our weak trannys. That means drain and refill with genuine honda tranny fluid every 30k miles.

So I was on my way to my GF's place, and my transmission began slipping like crazy. It goes through all the gears, but goes into neutral for like 5 seconds before each gear. I got it to her place, so Im gunna leave it there til I decide where to take it. I have a 98 4cyl auto, about 111,000 miles...

I'm toying with the idea in my head of doing a manual swap...Anyone on here done it and know any cost estimates? I'd love to do it, but if it takes to much time/money, I won't be able to. Any thoughts??

If you plan to keep your car then do the swap. If you want to just fix it and get rid of it in the near future then give honda care a call and ask for "good will". Explain to them what happened and see if they will share cost with you. You might get lucky and they will cover the cost of replacing it with a rebuilt tranny and you pay the labor at a dealership.

Good luck.

Back