Tranny issue =(

redlawyers

Reaction score
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but being new to 6th gen Accords I thought I would ask.

I have a 4cyl A4.

I get a downshift into 1st every time I am going slow and then start to accelerate again; whether turning onto a side road, going up a slight hill, slowing for a red light, etc. This downshift is gentle and not hard. It just seems like a nuisance to me and not a problem with the transmission. I have read a lot of posts on the quality/ reliability of the automatic trannys and am interested in getting some info.

Why would it shift back into 1st if I am not demanding a shift to continue accelerating with the throttle? Could it be that just because there isn't a lot of torque with the engine and it wants to shift back into 1st to help continue to get the car rolling again? It just seems so strange...it shifts down to 1st to get me going again and then shifts back. I have tried the slightest touch of the throttle when I know it will do it and it does it anyway.

I have had automatics in the past in 4cyls through to V8s and this car is the only one that forces a downshift when I don't want it to regardless of throttle pressure. Just seems so weird.

avio07

Reaction score
78k, 02 accord, you are most likely covered by recall. Check your VIN for the recall on honda's web site and take it to the dealership for a free replacement.

ALX2987

Reaction score
i have the exact same problem...02 4cyl auto, slowing down i have to come to almost a complete stop for it to shift back into first, if i dont let it get into first and give it gas, the motor revs a little bit then jerks into gear. It only has 80k on it..your all saying its normal for it to shift like that? i kinda hope its "normal" so i dont have to drop 2g's on a tranny right now..

RedAccord02

Reaction score
I checked and its not covered by the recall apparently they thought they fixed it for 02 year and didnt recall mine and many others ive seen. Its def not normal sooner or later its gona crap out i just baby the car to get the most out of it for now. Yea ALX2987 my cars exactly like that.

tr0n

Reaction score
im having the same problems with my gfs 02 EX :madrun:

MrLazie1

Reaction score
i got that problem too, and i had my teacher that used to work at a honda dealership as a shop foremen diagnosis it and he said that its not really a problem. and he recommended me to get a solvent call trans x to clean out the tranny. i have not done that yet but will soon. so if anyone wants to try that first and let me know how that goes.

dorkiedoode

Reaction score
i got that problem too, and i had my teacher that used to work at a honda dealership as a shop foremen diagnosis it and he said that its not really a problem. and he recommended me to get a solvent call trans x to clean out the tranny. i have not done that yet but will soon. so if anyone wants to try that first and let me know how that goes.

not sure about trans x but there a lot of recommendation for autorx @ bitog. either way i dont think ill will ever put anything in the tranny.

RedAccord02

Reaction score
duno if i would put anything in there of the sort. I did the 3 cycles of tranny fluid change with hondas atf fluid and added some lucas in there and it still does the same s****.

01ULEVTW

Reaction score
Guys, PLEASE don't use anything else BUT the OEM Honda Trans Fluid. I just finished having my transmission rebuilt at the dealer; the last 5,000 miles or so, i was using Royal Purple Trans Fluid in my transmission. BIG (and expensive) MISTAKE. I suspect this did it in. After speaking with a few of the Honda Techs at Paragon Honda about using the different fluid, they told me that's probably what caused the failure. I felt obligated to share my stupid mistake so that no one else goes down that route. Stick with what works. Good luck.

Last edited:

RedAccord02

Reaction score
Guys, PLEASE don't use anything else BUT the OEM Honda Trans Fluid. I just finished having my transmission rebuilt at the dealer; the last 5,000 miles or so, i was using Royal Purple Trans Fluid in my transmission. BIG (and expensive) MISTAKE. I suspect this did it in. After speaking with a few of the Honda Techs at Paragon Honda about using the different fluid, they told me that's probably what caused the failure. I felt obligated to share my stupid mistake so that no one else goes down that route. Stick with what works. Good luck.

thanks for sharing that with us hope lucas doesnt make my tranny fail. It worked with a car i had before, either way i plan on doing 1 cycle tranny fluid changes every 15k miles. 1 cylcle is drain and refill 3 qt's of honda's atf fluid in case anyone is wondering.

Back