tranny problem

yeding

Reaction score
maybe a dumb question, but how long should I drive between each drain and refill process? Since I'm having dexron in my tranny now, I'm afraid it may cause problem to drive too long with mixed dexron and z-1 in the same tranny.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
WTF? Do you want to tell me what I said that was wrong? The first symptom the OP described is not a sign of the trans going bad. You then go on about how to drain/refill, which is what I suggested.

If you had ever actually done a drain/refill or bothered to look up the number you'd know that you get 2.7 qts out of the pan, not 3. Hopefully nobody reads your shyte info and overfills their trans.

Thats why when i pulled apart my auto tranny the differential gears were shot. But that wasnt a symptom of a bad tranny right??

I've done plenty of drain and fills and added 3 qrts of fluid after it was filled. If you want to leave out .3qrts of fluid thats your choice. Its not gonna hurt anything to add .3 qrts extra. Even if you over-filled your tranny, your dipstick would pop off and all the fluid will shoot out of the hole. I bought my automatic 2000 accord since it had around 28k miles and did all my drain and fills every 10-20k with no problems. It had 111,875 before I pulled it out. I probably could have gone another 5k.

maybe a dumb question, but how long should I drive between each drain and refill process? Since I'm having dexron in my tranny now, I'm afraid it may cause problem to drive too long with mixed dexron and z-1 in the same tranny.

50 miles or so. Mixing fluids wont hurt your transmission. Dextron has no friction modifiers that your honda automatic transmission needs. Thats why everyone always recommends Honda brand ATF. You will notice right away that the tranny will shift smoother because of the better fluid. Dextron makes the car shift a little bit harder between gears. The automatic transmission in your car was made to slightly slip between gears to make it more smooth, provided you used Honda ATF

Last edited:

cajun

Reaction score
Thats why when i pulled apart my auto tranny the differential gears were shot. But that wasnt a symptom of a bad tranny right??

We're talking about two different things. The OP asked about the <1 sec pause he feels after giving a little gas from a rolling stop. That isn't necessarily a symptom of a bad 6thGen/I4 trans. Mine has done this since new. Several friends and coworkers tell me their 6thGen/I4 does has always done it as well.

The symptoms you describe from your trans - hard shifts, jerking into gear, and noticeable delays in downshifting were obviously problems.

yeding

Reaction score
cajun and Hondaluver, thx a lot for the information, both of u guys are really helpful. So like Miller said, let's just chill out, superbowl sunday is coming.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We're talking about two different things. The OP asked about the <1 sec pause he feels after giving a little gas from a rolling stop. That isn't necessarily a symptom of a bad 6thGen/I4 trans. Mine has done this since new. Several friends and coworkers tell me their 6thGen/I4 does has always done it as well.

The symptoms you describe from your trans - hard shifts, jerking into gear, and noticeable delays in downshifting were obviously problems.

Cajun is right. /discussion about symptoms of a dying transmission.

To the OP - as everyone said, just drain and refill the fluid. Oh, and you use a 3/8 ratchet to remove the drain bolt on the pass side for a 4cyl, cant remember where it is for the V6.

Back