Tranny Problems..

MARSHIN2

Reaction score
It started when I was driving all day, I made a stop, and turned off the engine. Three minutes later I got back to my car and drove off, instantly I had problems. It seemed like (I’m am no expert in automatic trannys) when it was shifting, it disengaged the first gear and wouldn’t engage the next, RPM’s instantly go up to 3.5-4K and then it catches the gear and whole car jerks forward. This would happen for all gears. Also when I was parking, I waited before shifting in to reverse. But when I did, I heard the loudest clunk my transmission has ever made, it made me cringe. The fact that the problem came out of nowhere makes me think it’s an electrical problem, I would assume if it was a mechanical issue, the shifting issues would grow over time not a sudden occurrence. Am I right to assume that?

Ever since that, my transmissions runs fine when it’s cold, however it acts up when I have been driving for a while. It seem to be the opposite of what others have been experiencing. I guess my hope is that it’s an electrical problem not mechanical. What should I inspect to verify this? I was reading that it’s some sort of solenoid but I’ve seen mixed opinions on how to test. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jordan_H

Reaction score
The bands in the automatic transmissions Heat up and expand. That's why when it's cold it works fine. Atleast that's what my dads told me who has had to swap out 3 of his automatic Honda trabsmisisons

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Check fluid.

Then drive it HARD, once. Feel the 1-2 shift, 2-3, and backwards, let us know where the slip is.

Back