Trans Rebuild - Worth it?

photoguy

Reaction score
Hey everyone -

I have a couple questions about our "awesome" transmissions. I have an automatic 2000 EX with .... 271,000 miles. The transmission is starting to give me problems. Some days the transmission shifts fine with no issues. Other days, I can actually notice it floating around between 1st and 2nd and when it finally kicks to 2nd, there's a slight jerk.

Everything else with the car is absolutely fine. No engine problems, no suspension issues, everything works great. Its been an extremely reliable car for me as a college student and I hate to get rid of it and try to find a replacement. My parents even brought up that there's even the possibility of scrapping the car which I really do not want to do. I know its a granny car but it's nice. :lawl:

So, here's the questions. Is it worth getting my transmission rebuilt? Are there any negative effects a rebuilt transmission will have on the motor? Should I get rid of the monkey and find another Honda? I dunno what to do. :skurred:

Thanks in advance.

photoguy

Reaction score
I've always liked manual cars (I've heard trannys last longer in them anyways, if properly used) but I cannot drive them. I've tried numerous times but I always stall out or roll backwards, etc. So a 6-spd swap is out of the question, lol.

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
Rebuilt transmission is always worth it if you can fork out $1,000-$2,400 depending on warrenty, size of motor, and reputable shop.

Sure you can swap out a manual trans for $2,000-$3,000 and it will probably last you longer than any of our automatic trans.

If you have a second car to get you through your day, knowledgeable of our car, patients to gather all the parts for the swap, and know forsure you are commited to doing the swap I say go for it.

If you plan on selling the car down the road, have a weekend warrior and the accord is your daily, just keep it auto.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^You just need to practice, people are telling the truth when they say it's like learning to ride a bike.

If you do regular maintenance, baby the car and not drive like a retard, it may last you a while. Mine did the normal jerks between gears but served me well.

photoguy

Reaction score
^You just need to practice, people are telling the truth when they say it's like learning to ride a bike.

If you do regular maintenance, baby the car and not drive like a retard, it may last you a while. Mine did the normal jerks between gears but served me well.

The current transmission fluid does need changed. It's a little yucky. Would this hurt my current transmission (I've heard that it causes more problems then solutions) with the miles that are on it?

I'm thinking I'm going to keep the car and drive it until the transmission gets a little worse. I do have the money to get it rebuilt if I need to (keeping it an automatic). When that time comes, I'd get it done.

kevo

Reaction score
I know you said you wana keep it auto, but trust me i was in the same boat as you I thought I would never be able to drive a standard but with a couple days of practice and getting use to driving it and knowing the "sweet spot" it becomes a very enjoyable thing to drive around. Look at it like this, you'll fork out 1-2k for a rebuilt one, and just as your warranty ends your tranny goes out because a carrier bearing fails so you have to now fork out more cash and spend 1-2k all over as opposed to just fixing the problem and just converting to Manuel and enjoying your car more that's just my .02 cents

CleanWhiteHonda

Reaction score
I was handed down my 00 Ex manual and I learned how to drive it when I was 14. If you have someone in the passenger seat that has had a lot of experience with manuals you will learn easily. Once you start driving it on your own you just work out the kinks.

And don't worry, it's an accord, your not gonna accidentally floor it and spin out off the road...:lawl:

Rsuave24

Reaction score
not worth it. I rebuilt mine and it went out, got it rebuilt again. bound to go out again at some point. it's a manufacture defect all around with no absolute remedy...unless....you go 6 speed. which I plan on doing in the near future.

photoguy

Reaction score
So would a fluid flush/fill hurt my current tranny? It does need it because the fluid is kind of dark. I've heard that with lots of miles on a transmission, a fluid flush and fill actually hurts it more than anything. :run:

Back