Transmission fluid leak!!!! HELP!

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Okay, so I changed my passenger side axle about 3 weeks ago and that’s when I started leaking. I then had the seal replaced with a not-so-new one, but it was still in good condition, and the leak persisted. What could be the causes of this? The leak is dripping off of the base of the axle (the part that connects to the tranny.) What could be possible causes? Improperly seated axle? Bad axle seal? Bad c-clip on the end of the axle?

I leak about 1/8th of a cup over an 8 hour period. It's not really a puddle however, just looks like the oil is spread out on the floor. How would I check and see if the axle is properly seated?

I've never been a believer of additives, but I'm really close to trying the lucas transmission fluid substitute that is supposed to stop leaks and what not .. I'm assuming it's going to swell the seals ..

OH also, I had an auto, and did a 5 speed swap, so now it's got a 5 speed in it. However, I'm sure that the passenger side axles are the same .. right ? What if the mechanic used an f22 tranny .. ? Would the passenger side axle still be the same ? What if that's the issue ? How do I find out what kind of tranny it is ?

Last edited:

nsjames

Reaction score
seal rides on the axle shaft.
Check it for damage in the machined bit the seal rides on.

otherwise, put another new seal in it, and use a bit of RTV around the lip to make sure it stays put.
no idea if they use the same shaft, but I have done trans swaps in FWD cars in the past and needed the donor cars shafts to get the right lengths.

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score
New axle seal is 10$ maybe less at Honda. I had the same issue and had to take every thing back off to replace the seal

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pass side axle should all be the same. The seal is $10

Go look at your transmission and see what the serial number on it is.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Thanks so much guys. Put my mind at ease! Haha. How hard is it to remove the passenger side axle ? Is it just the huge nut over the hub, and then the castle nuts and thats it ?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's not difficult, just time consuming.

Take the axle nut off, 36mm, and pop the tie rod out of the spindle by hitting the side of the spindle to knock it loose. Use a deadblow hammer or something similar to knock the axle loose from the hub a little. Crawl under and pop the axle out of the transmission. It'll take a little massaging to get it out but it's doable by yourself.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Huh .. sounds easy enough .. do I have to remove the top castle nut too ? Or just the bottom one that holds the lower ball joint ?

Back