transmission or mounts?

sajin

Reaction score
The title sums up my question. When I turn my car on in the morning, and shift from park to reverese, it sometimes does a pretty mean jerk. It also happens sometimes when let's say I brake a bit and then press the gas to go, it does a mean jerk there as well. My friend says it's motor mounts but i've been reading that 6th gen v6 auto tranns just fail left and right. Since I have 210k miles on it, and I don't know much about it, i'm here asking you guys! Any input?

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Your friends an idiot.

Your trannys goin man.

Also, spending a little time searching would have easily, easily yielded the same answer. Just a heads up for future posting.

sajin

Reaction score
Apparently I don't know what to type in the search box because I couldn't find what I was looking for. Just kept findinging posts which said that v6 auto tranny blow/suck/bound to fail/blah but couldn't ever find the symptoms of them. Well this news sure does suck. :( Thanks for the quick reply though.

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
Let's not jump to conclusions.

Does your car shake wildly when you crank it? Put it in park put your foot on the brake, shift it into drive and have a friend tell you how much play the engine has when you shift into gear. (You'll need a buddy to watch the engine). If it shakes a great bit and you'll know if its abnormal. If it moves an inch or so, your mounts are toast. Now if you put it in gear and it hesitates and then slams into gear (if its reverse) that's normal for most of the bx7a transmissions. If it does it between other gears, you might be looking for a new torque converter soon and at that point, you might as well strt from scratch with a new trans. If you do need a new transmission, put a trans cooler in it.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Guys - You ALWAYS check the easiest stuff first.

Pop the hood, jack it up, inspect all of the mounts to see if the rubber is cracked or if the one mount (not sure which) has oil leaking out of it. If all of them check out fine, then move onto the transmission.

ejreams

Reaction score
Not to thread jack but, I have a feeling mine are going to go soon, would it be worth it to fill them or cover them with some polyurethane 'calking' or 'sealant'?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Guys - You ALWAYS check the easiest stuff first.

Pop the hood, jack it up, inspect all of the mounts to see if the rubber is cracked or if the one mount (not sure which) has oil leaking out of it. If all of them check out fine, then move onto the transmission.

This

sajin

Reaction score
One more thing, where would be a good place/website to purchase some motor/transmission mounts? Not quite sure Ebay is a good choice since you can get all 5 for like $130 but highlt doubt the quality.

Back