Transmission Question

J30MAN

Reaction score
I am still hoping that my 127k v6 transmission stays well for a long time, but it would be nice to have an idea of what I want to do when and if it craps out on me. I know that my be$t choice would be to just get a used/rebuilt 4spd with a warranty from a shop. But how much more including labor do you guys think the 5spd auto swap discussed here would be over the replacement 4spd? Because if i could swap to the 7th gen auto for not too much more $$$ then I would consider it because i wouldn't have anymore transmission worries because the 5spd auto is more reliable...right? :coffee:

Shwayzar

Reaction score
drop a 6sp manual out of a cl-s in it! i wish thats what i woud have done instead of gettng a factory rebuild.

J30MAN

Reaction score
Thats what really want but i've seen prices that are close to double the amount of a rebuild. And thats something that i wouldn't be able to afford.

jwong512

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, 6 speed swaps cost around $3000. If you can't afford that, I would either do an automatic transmission rebuild, swap, or buy a new car. To be honest, our V6's compared to the newer ones aren't as efficient fuel/power wise.

J30MAN

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, 6 speed swaps cost around $3000. If you can't afford that, I would either do an automatic transmission rebuild, swap, or buy a new car. To be honest, our V6's compared to the newer ones aren't as efficient fuel/power wise.

IMO i could care less about power/mpg, i just want it to be enjoyable and relaxing to drive. Ill do anything to keep this car so i wouldn't buy a new one, I just want it to drive correctly without worrying about it every time it changes gears. The only way i would do a 6pd swap if for my dad to help me pay for some of it.

jwong512

Reaction score
IMO i could care less about power/mpg, i just want it to be enjoyable and relaxing to drive. Ill do anything to keep this car so i wouldn't buy a new one, I just want it to drive correctly without worrying about it every time it changes gears. The only way i would do a 6pd swap if for my dad to help me pay for some of it.

If that's the case, I would just invest in a transmission cooler. I got one and my shifts have never been smoother :). Be sure to warm up your car too and keep the revs low even if the car is warmed up initially as the transmission isn't warmed up directly once the car is started. I've been doing that and my transmission is still holding up at 125k with no swap or rebuild. Be sure to change your fluids often too around every 10k-15k with genuine honda fluid.

J30MAN

Reaction score
If that's the case, I would just invest in a transmission cooler. I got one and my shifts have never been smoother :). Be sure to warm up your car too and keep the revs low even if the car is warmed up initially as the transmission isn't warmed up directly once the car is started. I've been doing that and my transmission is still holding up at 125k with no swap or rebuild. Be sure to change your fluids often too around every 10k-15k with genuine honda fluid.

i have changed my fluid about a month ago with atf-z1 and i have 127k. But ill try a diy cooler

Back