trunk lid tailight help

kevirl

Reaction score
Hey guys.
Really useful site, helped me change main relay recently.
I've tried searching but am still not sure, apologies if this is a total noob question.

Have a 99 2dr coupe 4cyl uk version, and im getting a brake lamp warning indicator presumably because trunk lid tailight isnt working.

The trunk light tailights circled are brake lights correct, and should come on when brake predal is pressed?

HhdwetM.png

Ive changed bulb but still nothing will try and test socket next.

Should I have a bulb on both left and right hand side for trunk lid tailghts? There seems to be only one on the right hand side, and I cant see any wiring for a tailight on the left hand side and housing seems blocked off??. I couldnt find a pic online of what its supposed to look like.

LH side:
bZgEFqsl.jpg

4iry4sfl.jpg

PHuGtGxl.jpg

RH side:
TazAyUzl.jpg

HxwSN1Wl.jpg

Thanks guys

Last edited:

james'99

Reaction score
Yes, they should be brake lights, at least on the USDM version. Interesting thing about your setup is not only are you missing the part of the harness for the left light, but your right light only has two wires going to it out of a needed three.

TazAyUzl.jpg

There should be three wires going to this bulb. Is the brake lamp light on your dash illuminated? Are there three wires on either end?

Last edited:

kevirl

Reaction score
Thanks james.
Yes looks like just two wires and not three
YaLM0cwl.jpg

, that go into an adapter below

Ly9HLO6l.jpg

will pull more of trunk liner out tomorrow to have a look at rest of harness. The stoplights on the body have the three wires.

Trying to find part no.s for whats missing, hoping to avoid leaving it with dealer for this, do you think harness number 2 in image below is for trunk lid?

2YHP8IPl.jpg

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection.php?block_01=17S8201&block_02=B__0701&block_03=413

And thats tailight part diagram for my vin
pslB2yAl.jpg

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection.php?block_01=17S8201&block_02=B__0900&block_03=413

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I'm not even sure now...

I thought the Accord coupe had the trunk lights as just tail, the sedan does...

Who even has another coupe (since mine is a sedan)?

kn0x47

Reaction score
in the US the both lights on the trunk lid are brake lights. we don't have that grey plastic inside the socket though

whitederic

Reaction score
I can take a look at mine if needed but James' coupe is the same as mine and he's right about the wiring. Seems as if you are missing parts. Don't know why the UK would be different.

kevirl

Reaction score
Thank guys. I cant really tell from the diagrams whether uk version is different or not. and whitederic if you had a pic i could compare to if its not too much trouble that would be great.

I dont know if previous owner has changed something or uk is just different.

What I don't get also is the left side tailight housing is blocked off with no apparent space for the bulb??? Why would there be a bulb on right side but not left...

james'99

Reaction score
I'm not even sure now...

I thought the Accord coupe had the trunk lights as just tail, the sedan does...

Who even has another coupe (since mine is a sedan)?

Yeah, xci. The sedan had the outers only for the brakes. The coupe has the inners as brakes too (If you want to go this far, you could compare it to that of a Corvette, not in styling, just the fact that it has four brake lights). I'm coupe. There are three nodes in his connector though there are only two wires.

Does your inner one on the right even come on when the headlights are on?

Does the brake lamp light in the dash illuminate? On our USDM coupes, it does if one of the inner lights are out. I'm interested to know if yours is because that would indeed make me suspect a problem and not just a difference in the versions of the car.

If I have time today, I will take pictures. But don't bank on me till tomorrow.

Last edited:

whitederic

Reaction score
For the trunk tail lights

Right side
19c9142ef990839748e2806d4957d074.jpg

Left side
8e134fb6ad8c1f60ec49d6e6854a2626.jpg

You have a red/black, black and green wire wired into the brake lights.
1b2cd6327e0f45bf62e20ea78d35cf98.jpg

Do you want the corner lights too?

kevirl

Reaction score
No those pics are fine thanks. Will have a closer look tomorrow again. Does it look like all those wires are on the one harness that goes down trunk lid and into side of trunk behind the liner in yours?

Back