Tryin to find a good head unit

jbisselwhiteac6

Reaction score
I Wanted know what you all suggest as a good touch screen head unit with gps "pioneer, Kenwood, Clarion, Jvc, Etc " I want a in double din screen "

lashlee

Reaction score
I've got a W205 in the car, and an DDX6019 in the truck. Depending on what you want may determine what you get. The Alpine has the capacity to sound better, but I like the kenwood/garmin nav in the truck. What are you main qualities that you desire besides touchscreen?

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
I've been looking at this a lot. I have narrowed it down to mainly Kenwood and Pioneer, because they just offer the most of what I want.

If you want a lot for cheap, try to pick up an AVIC-D3 from eBay or something. It is still a great piece for all that it offers, ESPECIALLY if you're not a huge iPod fanatic, cuz there's a few issues there with iPod video.

For me, the Kenwood DNX-7120 takes the cake. Pretty easily too. The Garmin Nav simply kicks ***. Best available in my opinion. Beyond that, it has full iPod connectivity including video, and all controls for it work flawlessly from the receiver's screen. The screen resolution is pretty good and its a full 7" screen. 99% of my music is payed from my iPod so that was a big deal, and Kenwood's iPod connectivity seems to be the best/easiest out of the ones I was looking at.

Depends on what you want. I'm running amps so I wasn't worried about getting the most powerful deck available, and I loved the Garmin Nav and tilt screen features.

Try to read a lot of reviews to see what you like.

You can get the DNX-7120 for around 850-900 if you look for a good price. It retails at somewhere around 1300?

OH! If you are not in a rush to get one right away, hold off for a little bit and wait until Pioneer gets the bugs out of its new AVIC-F90.... once software issues are fixed and they have full connectivity to iPods without problems and things like that, I have a feeling that unit is going to be pretty SICK.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
The AVIC-F90 and AVIC-F900 both look like pretty impressive units actually, I just don't like the fact that it's not a flip down screen. Attracts too much unwanted attention when you have the screen up all the time.

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
....yeah the F90 and F900 not even sure which is which. Lol. pretty identical. I know Tweeter is only going to carry the F90.

As for the screen, I'd never buy it if it was a flip-out....blocks the climate controls. :madrun: And just doesn't look like it belongs in the interior like an in-dash 7" does.

jbisselwhiteac6

Reaction score
I've got a W205 in the car, and an DDX6019 in the truck. Depending on what you want may determine what you get. The Alpine has the capacity to sound better, but I like the kenwood/garmin nav in the truck. What are you main qualities that you desire besides touchscreen?

Well gps is a must because i am about to get rid of my verizon gps on my phone

jbisselwhiteac6

Reaction score
....yeah the F90 and F900 not even sure which is which. Lol. pretty identical. I know Tweeter is only going to carry the F90.

As for the screen, I'd never buy it if it was a flip-out....blocks the climate controls. :madrun: And just doesn't look like it belongs in the interior like an in-dash 7" does.

i feel the same way especially since i have the digital climate control what a waist a flip down would be for us with a digital climate control

lashlee

Reaction score
I very much like the garmin GPS that is in the truck over the alpine that is in the car. If it were me I would look into the 8120 since it's a great unit with all the features that you could ever want.

As a side note, I used to have a single din fold out and used it in the bottom and mounted a changer above it so that when it was out I still could get to the HVAC controls. With a little work you could do the same.

Either way you go, make sure that you spend some time and play with the unit that you plan on getting. I personally don't like how some of the older pioneer units function, but I haven't played with any of the f series.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Kenwood is probably the best for total overall functionality. I never really liked Kenwood though personally, i had a HU back in the day from them and my alpine sounded much better with the same speaker setup.

I think the Pioneer F-900bt will be one of the best units out in the future. It has tons of features, really easy to use, etc. The problem is they released it to early. They just had a firmware update which fixed some things but it still has issues. If you have faith in Pioneer fixing it (which i believe they will), i'd go for it now, the issues are overall insignificant (imo). But if this is a concideration, i'd recommend waiting. The flash memory is nice, if pioneer continues to update, plus having a card reader makes everything really easy. Plus you can use usb.

Back