Type-R Grill Fitment Mod?

SpikeMobile

Reaction score
Before the flaming starts, this isnt a question about how to fit a coupe grill on a sedan! Ive also searched and came up with nothing. Im aware that a lot of members here own a type-r grill purchased from ebay. The fitment is horrible and was wondering if anyone here has modified it in a way that kept the grill from popping out from the bottom.

Ive had mine in for 6 months to a year now and every time I struggle to jam it in place just to find that it pops back out. I have chipped paint on my bumper from the areas where the tabs on the grill are. I was thinking about cutting off the tabs but Im afraid the grill will still be loose since it is only held on by the top. How do you guys keep yours in place? Thanks in advance.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
It's not only held on at the top, there are 4 small screws that hold the grille in place on the underside...

bdeitemeyer

Reaction score
You could modify the OEM grille, but that might involve more work than you're willing to do.

SpikeMobile

Reaction score
It's not only held on at the top, there are 4 small screws that hold the grille in place on the underside...

Thanks for the replies everyone. The bumper does have holes for screws but the grill itself doesnt. There are no bottom mounts for screws; only tabs. It looks like if I use a self tapping screw, it will screw right through the grill since it is relatively thin.

tumblr_m5ooar6Yoc1qgapuio1_500.png

Reaction score
i wouldnt try self-tapers in that grille its to hard/thin it will crack. the tabs all the way around should slid in nice to the existing slots on the bumper i put the bumper on while leaving some of the top push pins out on the top and then fit the grille in place by sliding the tabs in the slots then using the 3 push pins on top of the grille to secure it.

SpikeMobile

Reaction score
i wouldnt try self-tapers in that grille its to hard/thin it will crack. the tabs all the way around should slid in nice to the existing slots on the bumper i put the bumper on while leaving some of the top push pins out on the top and then fit the grille in place by sliding the tabs in the slots then using the 3 push pins on top of the grille to secure it.

Was yours an ebay type-r grill too?

Back