V6 Emergency Brakes Sticking On.

Connie

Reaction score
I have this problem ONLY when the weather is cold (less than -5 degrees C/25 degrees F)

This is the only automatic car I have owned in the last 5 years, and the habit of putting the emergency brake on every time I park the car is not something I am going to be able to break.

When it is cold and I go to release the brake (for example first thing in the morning) the right rear caliper (4 wheel disc brakes) does not release, and if the car is in the air the only wheel that the brake is even applied on is the right rear when I pull up the handle. The left rear will still spin as if the brakes are off. I can always tell because the parking brake handle has no tension on it when it gets stuck on. Sometimes jerking the handle up and down will get it to release, but only sometimes. If it does not release, I can feel them dragging and can smell burning brake pad when i come to a stop. If the surface is anything other than dry pavement, the wheel will not even turn while the car is moving. Especially if there is any snow.

The calipers, pads, and rotors at the back were all replaced about a year ago, and the problem was the same before and after.

I took a glance at the cables and didn't see anything obviously wrong, but I feel like the problem must be somewhere in the e-brake cables.

Has anyone had a similar problem that they found the solution to? The whole set of cables from Honda is not cheap, and replacing them on a 15 year old rust belt car with almost half a million kilometres is not going to be fun, so I am trying to avoid that if possible.....

Thanks.

Back