Valve bolts broke & stuck

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
Congrats.....I think you are the first person I have ever seen use a bolt extractor successfully. I know I never have.

TUBHMOOBVAJ

Reaction score
It was tough because the broken bolt is small so you have to be really careful to make you drill right in the center and not apply so much pressure. I took my sweet time and finally able to get it out, installed the new bolt, seals and did a oil change.

nsjames

Reaction score
Congrats.....I think you are the first person I have ever seen use a bolt extractor successfully. I know I never have.

I gave up on them a long time ago. Ever break the hardened extractor off while trying to back out the bolt? Yeah, try drilling that sum ***** out.

hotaccord243

Reaction score
Untitled-1.jpg

That picture on the old post is referring to the head bolts and not the valve cover bolts as far as torque specs. There is no way you should tighten the valve cover bolts to above 70lbs/ft torque.

They should be more around 10lbs/ft per attached photo (i know they are shown as nuts and not as bolts like they actually are on our motor but the spec is still valid. Otherwise you will have the same issue again. Basically they should be hand tightened snug and no more.

As far as the left hand drill bit it works wonders! I used it on a timing belt tensioner bolt that snapped off inside the block (no protrusions) and it worked perfect and a breeze too. It helped that I took my time though too.

TUBHMOOBVAJ

Reaction score
The valve bolt should only be 8 pound torque, I used 10 pound in cold mn weather that's why it snapped.

nsjames

Reaction score
As far as the left hand drill bit it works wonders! I used it on a timing belt tensioner bolt that snapped off inside the block (no protrusions) and it worked perfect and a breeze too. It helped that I took my time though too.

I've never tried to use them on anything stuck in aluminum. I imagine that the heat caused by the bit makes the aluminum expand a bit more tha nthe steel and it comes easier.

They don't work for **** on bolts that are rusted and seized properly by road salt in the suspension. Torch or drill it out and retap.

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
so you just use a left hand drill bit to get it out? just stick the bit on the drill and start drilling? or did you use a punch to make a starting point?
Iv had a broken one for about a year..ha to scared to try to get it out..

hotaccord243

Reaction score
so you just use a left hand drill bit to get it out? just stick the bit on the drill and start drilling? or did you use a punch to make a starting point?
Iv had a broken one for about a year..ha to scared to try to get it out..

Use a punch first for a starting point. Then have a can of WD-40 with you to work slowly and getting a hole started. Take your time with spraying the drill bit every so often to keep it from heating up and snapping. If you get that thing snapped in there its going to be even more difficult to get it out.

Back