Valve Clearance

Accord123

Reaction score
Thinking about doing my first valve adjustment this weekend, any pointers? It seems pretty straightforward, but what did you do your first time that took you a while to figure out that would help me out?

Also, anything else I should do while I'm at it? I'm replacing the valve cover gasket, but I'm not sure what else I should do while I'm already under there.

Akingkhan

Reaction score
When u pull your valve cover off clean it all up then paint it. Then start on your valve adjustment.
Wait do you have a 4 banger or v6?

Accord123

Reaction score
When u pull your valve cover off clean it all up then paint it. Then start on your valve adjustment.
Wait do you have a 4 banger or v6?

Got the V6 EX Sedan. Thanks I will look into it. The only thing I've thought about doing was replacing the gasket and checking/adjusting the clearances. Anything else I should be looking to replace?

001Stunna

Reaction score
As AFAccord said...please read the DIY on here, watch some DIY videos on it before you start doing it. Also make sure your engine is full out cold when you perform the work. Take your time and do not rush it...give yourself enough time.

As for what you can do...well you can change the gasket and paint the cover if you'd like(making sure you cover all the holes on it first). Also be careful on the valve bolts and do not snap any.

Accord123

Reaction score
A V6, yeah I have one of those, did a pictorial too
http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Ric...rt=6&o=0&_suid=136641669049904003364776633517
when in photobucket, be sure to open the tab on the right called "Media Info" it has all the words - otherwise it's just pictures.

The V6's do need adjusting as they are screw and locknut. Don't wait till 105K like they say in the book.

Thanks! That really helps. All the write ups I've seen only dealt with the 4-cylinders. Can someone explain the concept of adjusting intake and exhaust valves. I'm confused on which is which

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
Can someone explain the concept of adjusting intake and exhaust valves. I'm confused on which is which

Ah, sounds like you are very new to this, which is fine, you have to start somewhere. How much of a description do you need?

On the V6, the inlets are nearer the center of the engine. What you are doing is setting the clearance between the screw in the end of the rocker arm and the tip of the valve, then locking the screw in place with the locknut.

It is very important when doing this to check the clearance after you have tightened the locknut. You do this by sliding a feeler gauge thru the clearance between the screw and the valve. Sliding means there is a very slight drag on the feeler as it goes thru the gap and the next size up feeler won't go thru the gap. You can force the feeler thru, but this will give you a wrong value.

If after you take the feeler gauge out and you can feel no gap when you lift the rocker arm up and down by hand, you have done it wrong and need to have another go. With no clearance at the valve tip the rocker arm will quickly wipe all the oil of the cam and mess up the camshaft - as well as giving you low compression and a good chance at burning a hole in the valve itself.

In the photobucket guide, be sure to open the text to the pictures and read it. I don't explain everything, but hopefully you can figure out what I didn't say.

Back