Wanting to switch to HID - projector recommendations?

hondaspeedx

Reaction score
Man so many mixed results. I have this box with a 9006 HID kit I'm itching to open (can't exchange though if I do :/)... I'd love to try them out. Especially since two people said they don't have a problem.

Anyway, I like the suggestion about having the TYC projectors later if I decide to do a retro, but I've deciding to do a retro now! :D Well SOON.

I'm really new to this and have been doing lots of reading. I need to decide on the projectors ASAP as I need to tell the vendor what size bulb I want to swap to. I went to HIDplanet to by TSX projectors but saw they didn't have them. Tried to buy the Bosch E46(?) and they discontinued them (both use different bulbs).

I know this is really for a new thread, but I'd love to find out good sites to use to buy the parts (projector w/lens, bezel, harness--may make my own, and anything else I need). I've also decided to buy a new set of lights with clear strips so I can take my time and not have to worry about getting home before sunset ;)

hondaspeedx

Reaction score
yeah man save your money do the retro!

haha I don't mind spending the money... I'm very scared about getting the placement right and maintaining adjustability... all the DIY's I read don't seem to get into detail on that. I found a good one retrofitting an old civic... it mentions lines on the bottom of the light that point straight forward. Anyone know if our stockers have that? I hate to take my bumper back off just to check ;) Thanks.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
haha I don't mind spending the money... I'm very scared about getting the placement right and maintaining adjustability... all the DIY's I read don't seem to get into detail on that. I found a good one retrofitting an old civic... it mentions lines on the bottom of the light that point straight forward. Anyone know if our stockers have that? I hate to take my bumper back off just to check ;) Thanks.

I believe the stock headlights already have adjusting screws on them, so if u need to align ur lights u shud be able to if the projector is in the stock lense. Just make sure when u align ur projectors in the housing. U can use a tape measure. Then put them on the car to see that the projectors are pointing relatively straight. Then when ur done u can do micro adjustments to get them lined up horizontally and vertically. Good luck bro! I wish I did a retro =( they look so much nicer than my tyc's/

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
I've got hid's in the factory bezel without any complaints. I don't see why a projector would be a better option.

Honda headllights have awesome reflector housings. However they are only designed for halogen light bulbs. When u install HID'S that light scatters and creates a lot of glare for on-coming cars. A projector has a cutoff so the direct beam goes to the road and not the oncoming cars. You can leave ur car as it is, but its illegal and sooner or later depending on where u live u will get stopped. Or worse, might cause an accident. If i were u i would take out ur headlights and paint a cuttoff line by taking ur plastic lense off and painting inside of it. Id do something, rather than running it like that.

hondaspeedx

Reaction score
I believe the stock headlights already have adjusting screws on them, so if u need to align ur lights u shud be able to if the projector is in the stock lense. Just make sure when u align ur projectors in the housing. U can use a tape measure. Then put them on the car to see that the projectors are pointing relatively straight. Then when ur done u can do micro adjustments to get them lined up horizontally and vertically. Good luck bro! I wish I did a retro =( they look so much nicer than my tyc's/

Thanks HondaLuver... since that post I've done lots of research and gotten a lot of advice from guys who have done retros... I'm feeling much more confident now. I ordered some new aftermarket lights (all clear) and hopefully will have some FX bi-xenon projectors ordered today from another member :D With the extra set of lights I can take my time and not worry about staying out past dark ;)

I appreciate your help and feedback... TYC's were what I was going to get if I went aftermarket. From what I hear they are pretty good, and you can change lenses and even projectors on them. I got OEM ones for my project tho cause I kind of want that second-look, "hey are those honda lights?" look when I drive by ;)

paypalbid

Reaction score
I went with TYC projector and Im very happy with them. Got the H1 bulbs 6000 Kelvin temp. Anyway the light out put is not like my BMW but pretty much same as stock housing with HID. Make sure you aim the headlights. This could take 20 minutes to a week depend on how you want your headlights to aim. I like my headlight cut off above an average car 's rear license plate and under the trunk deck. When aiming your headlights take into consideration of how full your gas tank is also. If you dont like the TYC then yeah get some other better projectors later; But the TYC black housing looks great no matter what. If you have a dark car it give it an agressive stealth look. Cant go wrong with TYC, they are price very reasonable on Ebay.

hondaspeedx

Reaction score
I went with TYC projector and Im very happy with them. Got the H1 bulbs 6000 Kelvin temp. Anyway the light out put is not like my BMW but pretty much same as stock housing with HID. Make sure you aim the headlights. This could take 20 minutes to a week depend on how you want your headlights to aim. I like my headlight cut off above an average car 's rear license plate and under the trunk deck. When aiming your headlights take into consideration of how full your gas tank is also. If you dont like the TYC then yeah get some other better projectors later; But the TYC black housing looks great no matter what. If you have a dark car it give it an agressive stealth look. Cant go wrong with TYC, they are price very reasonable on Ebay.

Thanks for the input/suggestions paypalbid... Those TYC's were what I would have got if I went aftermarket, I hear they are the best. I decided to enter the retromod world tho and just bought some FX projectors... Will keep everyone posted. :)

bdeitemeyer

Reaction score
Couldn't you also just buy the TYC's and retrofit better projectors into them?

Yes, that's what I did (upgraded to ap1 s2000 projectors). It's NOT as easy as you would think because your projector fitment has to stay precise since you don't have the option of adjusting the shroud, as you would doing a retrofit in an OEM headlight. If you're going to do this, choose a smaller projector...perhaps TSXs, since the s2000 projectors were just too large to begin with.

Back