Weird jolt between 1st and 2nd

Thatguy

Reaction score
1st I have a 1998 Honda Accord lx sedan with 305,000ish miles on it. Since I bought the car it has jolting between first and second and the rest are smooth. What might be causing this?

And another question. The shifter layout says P R N D4 D3 2 1. Does it do damage to the transmission to put it in 1 and shift into 2 and 3 and 4?

I bought my 98 accord (automatic) recently and when it shifts from 1st to 2nd it jolts really hard and loses rpm during the shift. What is causing this?

Last edited by a moderator:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
How's the fluid level? When is the last time you changed it? Have you searched and read the other threads on the site? Make sure it is not a solenoid, etc. With how severe the jolt sounds and the loss or RPM's though, trans may be dying.

Never shift through 1, 2, D3, D4 while driving. There is a thread with suggestions on how to drive the auto so it lasts longer as well.

Chris S

Reaction score
It is definitely the transmission. You can have it scanned for codes for free at a place like Autozone just in case, but if it was me I would change (not flush) the transmission fluid and I would use only Honda brand fluid. The 6th generation accords are actually legendary for transmission problems and are very finicky about the transmission fluid too. If the fluid change doesn't improve it just let your foot off the gas to encourage it to change between 1st and 2nd without causing more damage. If your transmission does go completely you can probably get a used, imported one from Japan for less than a thousand bucks which is actually much cheaper than having it rebuilt (several thousand dollars). In Japan the tax structure on cars encourages them to buy new very frequently and so there are lots of low mileage transmissions and engines available. Watch Scotty Kilmer's YouTube videos for more about transmissions "Fixing a transmission that slips and clunks"

DrDoom

Reaction score
I got a rebuild transmission at 147k for to much damn $ and at 190k my transmission does the same kinda jump between gears. I kinda memorized when my trans shifts so I just let off the gas when im going through 1 - 2. This will surely be my last automatic car... But I really like the fact yours is pushing 305k gives me some hope I got a few more sweet years of driving my grandma car.

Back