What did you do today Auto Detailing related?

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What did you do today Detailing related?

So I just washed and waxed my car, and even after going over the surface twice with a microfiber towel, even used two different towels, and there are still wax marks/residue left. Any help onto how I can get these off? I can really only see them when I look really close and in the sun. I've buffed with a microfiber towel by hand, and can't seem to make them go away.

Washed with Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo.

Dried with a synthetic chamois

Waxed with Meguiars NXT 2.0 Wax.

Did you wash your car in the sun or shade?

If in the shade, did you let your car sit in the sun prior washing? This will heat up the metal or plastic.

Did you dry your car off first before waxing or waxed when still wet?

For the wax, was it the paste one or the liquid form one?

Did you go around the whole car then buffed off, or one panel at a time?

Polished my other set of OEM headlights for my auto accord today. The method I used was just compound, then polish, and coating them. The headlights were in "OK" condition so it did not require any sanding. I coated them anyways so I don't have to touch them for a while even though the original UV coating is still intact.

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score

Did you wash your car in the sun or shade?

If in the shade, did you let your car sit in the sun prior washing? This will heat up the metal or plastic.

Did you dry your car off first before waxing or waxed when still wet?

For the wax, was it the paste one or the liquid form one?

Did you go around the whole car then buffed off, or one panel at a time?

I washed it in the garage and dried it, then let it sit for about an hour to cool down, then waxed it. Probably should of done the panel thing, but I did the whole car.

truWarier02

Reaction score

No pictures before and during the process. It was my first time polishing/sealing with a DA so I was caught up. :(

I plan on applying a second coat of PL this weekend and I am still researching what carnauba wax or spray wax I should top it off with... Maybe Menz Color Lock or Optimum Spray Wax? I want as much protection as possible as I park in the sun at work.

Anyway, when I came out of Starbucks today, I did my usual walk around the car and I see 2 damn sweaty fingerprint marks on the hood. :Angry: Luckily it only had a light layer of dust and I had some ONR QD solution with me and lightly cleaned it off. I seriously need to park even further back from now on lol.

spacemonkee23

Reaction score

Washed & Waxed, used Meguiars Gold (The can of paste that comes with an applicator) used quick detailer to help wipe it off.

Quick question, I have some tiny crows foot cracking in the clear coat on my hood. There are a lot of them but they are all tiny and require a up close look to see them. Is a respray the only thing I can do to resolve this issue, it looks like the cracks go down to the color coat. (I'm still a noob here and can't post pics or links)

Thanks in advance.

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score

I washed it in the garage and dried it, then let it sit for about an hour to cool down, then waxed it. Probably should of done the panel thing, but I did the whole car.

Okay. Since you mentioned you let it sit for about an hour to cool down I'm assuming it was sitting outside before you washed it? It seems you did everything correct besides the whole temperature scenario. Maybe the wax hazes really quick then turns hard really fast. Some waxes require apply and buff immediately to be user freindly. Try that method next time and see if anything changes.

No pictures before and during the process. It was my first time polishing/sealing with a DA so I was caught up. :(

I plan on applying a second coat of PL this weekend and I am still researching what carnauba wax or spray wax I should top it off with... Maybe Menz Color Lock or Optimum Spray Wax? I want as much protection as possible as I park in the sun at work.

Anyway, when I came out of Starbucks today, I did my usual walk around the car and I see 2 damn sweaty fingerprint marks on the hood. :Angry: Luckily it only had a light layer of dust and I had some ONR QD solution with me and lightly cleaned it off. I seriously need to park even further back from now on lol.

IME, Opt spray wax does not play well being a topper. It's much better as a stand alone product that lasts 2-3 months for me. I would chose Menz color lock. The clean mirror look on your paint intrigues/amazes people now so they have to have a sensual feel of it to believe the look. :lawl:

Washed & Waxed, used Meguiars Gold (The can of paste that comes with an applicator) used quick detailer to help wipe it off.

Quick question, I have some tiny crows foot cracking in the clear coat on my hood. There are a lot of them but they are all tiny and require a up close look to see them. Is a respray the only thing I can do to resolve this issue, it looks like the cracks go down to the color coat. (I'm still a noob here and can't post pics or links)

Thanks in advance.

Glad to see another person maintaining their ride. Welcome aboard. The tiny ones in the paint is the beginning stage of it. It will gradually increase in size and get bigger. You cannot polish it because you will only make the clearcoat thinner thus increasing the rate of more popping up. Areas that did not pop up yet might be on the fine line of popping up after you abraded some clearcoat off. The only option is a repaint, but applying a durable paint sealant wouldn't hurt to try your best to preserve what's left.

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score

Okay. Since you mentioned you let it sit for about an hour to cool down I'm assuming it was sitting outside before you washed it? It seems you did everything correct besides the whole temperature scenario. Maybe the wax hazes really quick then turns hard really fast. Some waxes require apply and buff immediately to be user freindly. Try that method next time and see if anything changes.

Glad to see another person maintaining their ride. Welcome aboard. The tiny ones in the paint is the beginning stage of it. It will gradually increase in size and get bigger. You cannot polish it because you will only make the clearcoat thinner thus increasing the rate of more popping up. Areas that did not pop up yet might be on the fine line of popping up after you abraded some clearcoat off. The only option is a repaint, but applying a durable paint sealant wouldn't hurt to try your best to preserve what's left.

Ok, I'll try that out next time. It did sit in the sun a while before washing, and it was humid.

Speaking of the crows feet and the paint sealant, is there any paint sealant you would recommend? Mine is basically doing the same thing.

truWarier02

Reaction score

IME, Opt spray wax does not play well being a topper. It's much better as a stand alone product that lasts 2-3 months for me. I would chose Menz color lock. The clean mirror look on your paint intrigues/amazes people now so they have to have a sensual feel of it to believe the look. :lawl:

Good thing I didn't get the OCW then! I actually ordered a gallon of Meg's D156 yesterday. I hope I didn't make the wrong choice. It was either D156, DG Aquawax, or OCW and D156 seemed to be a happy medium. I couldn't find any info about topping Menz PL with D156 though but D156 seems to be a popular maintenance spray on the AGO forum. After the 2nd coat of PL this weekend, I'll apply D156 after every weekly wash. Is this a good combo?

Thanks again Lemmy!

Last edited:

spacemonkee23

Reaction score

Thanks for the Response. Thats pretty much what I was thinking, seal it for now and respray in the future. I saw some carbon fiber looking vinyl that a company sells, might use it as a cheap temporary option until I can afford a respray. When I do a respray I will probably shoot the hood and roof.

The roof is a little oxidized but not too bad, the clear is a little too thin to do any major polishing, Ill just seal it/keep it waxed and clean for now.

Any recommendations on a good paint sealant?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

Bought a new chamois, what a difference. Should have replaced mine long ago.

I seriously need to park even further back from now on lol.

With your luck you need to park a parking lot away from anywhere you go lol.

Last edited:

truWarier02

Reaction score

Bought a new chamois, what a difference. Should have replaced mine long ago.

With your luck you need to park a parking lot away from anywhere you go lol.

That's what I did today :lawl:

Back