What do you hate most about modern cars?

DXaccorD

Reaction score
yea honestly i thought i was alone on my feelings of newer cars being big as **** but obviously some of you feel the same way. And what the **** is up with how hard its gonna be to replace any audio/headunit equipment on newer cars when the stock unit is basically molded into the whole front end of the car???

talontsiawd

Reaction score
yea honestly i thought i was alone on my feelings of newer cars being big as **** but obviously some of you feel the same way. And what the **** is up with how hard its gonna be to replace any audio/headunit equipment on newer cars when the stock unit is basically molded into the whole front end of the car???

Yeah, that's another thing. Even some cars that arn't all that high end have basically "non-upgradeable" setups. You would have to do what you do on old cars and put the HU somewhere else. There are products like JL clean sweep that make it doable but i would much rather have a standard DD. I hate to admit it but certain cars are actually more appealing than others for me because of this.

mraw112

Reaction score
my friend got rented the new jetta while he was getting his golf fixed. I hated that car just sitting in the passenger seat for 10 minutes. the key fob has to be plugged it in a huge a$s hole to start the car. also it has an electric e-brake. and it automatically engages when the car is off. So if your car is dead and you need to push it some where good luck. Its not that hard to remember to put the ebrake up. and If you do forget. you learn fast to remeber. I got angry one night. backed my car in my drive way, which is on a hill, and forgot the ebrake once. My car ended up taking out my mail box and ended up in my neighbors yard. Now I always double check my ebrake.

fothermucker

Reaction score
They all look the same
They are all boring to drive
More gadgets do not a better car make
Too much chrome/OEM bling

chasnsx

Reaction score
I can assure you that electronic fuel injection was one of the single greatest things to happen to the automobile. Carburetors suck. Period. They are also not nearly as easy to work on as people claim them to be. Also mechanical pumps were simple, sure, but not very efficient. In fact, they did'nt actually pump, they sucked fuel to the jets. The electronic fuel pump allowed for auto makers to actually control fuel flow rates. And since they were now positively displacing fuel from the tank (read: not sucking, but pumping) as well as using computer controlled injectors they could implement fuel return systems to send the unused fuel back to the tank. What a novel idea...

This also made driving a car less of a hassle. Have you ever tried starting a carbureted car on a winter morning? Even if you could get the choke set right and the thing running, it would stumble until the engine temp rose to operating temperature. Or how about on a hot day when the car had just been run for an hour. The fuel used to vaporize in the lines causing a no start symptom called "vapor lock". EFI was God's gift to man.

What he said. The '57 Chevy I had in high school was a very simple car to work on, but I never could find a reliable carburetor for that thing. It had a built 283 with a racing cam, and it was fast, when it wasn't spitting and popping and pinging, and needing the idle mixture screws adjusted, which was all the time.

Chas

Back