What do you hit?

EastSideRide

Reaction score
So its not the first and it won't be the last. I drive into a non guiding car wash and it has a little hump (it looked little) to tell you when to stop going forward. When I was leaving it got bigger and I had no option but to go forward. So BOOM, smashed something after getting the wheels over it.

Its happened on other things before so I wonder, what do you hit? I am assuming its those pesky tow points.

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
Last time I was under my car the catalytic converter seems to take numerous blows over tall speed bumps and the car wash humps. I saw some scarring on the sub-frame as well but I don't think that's from speed bumps, etc.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
the front subframe, and the part of the chassis just in front of the rear wheels, on some speed bumps :p

Varnell

Reaction score
I avoid situations like that.

If I have no other option, I hit everything.

Last edited:

Jordan_H

Reaction score
image1_zpsd379a03d.jpg

It's hanging in there lol

Most the time speed bumps are avoidable but some driveways..... I live out in the country so they're gravel and really long. I take a different car to college because they have three huge bumps that I can't avoid and everyone would gather 'round when I drove my car there.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
OUCH!

DIY skid plate :p

Find on from a dirtbike, I plan too, but they're usually aluminum (my pan is) or hit up a steel store.

Get a piece of 1/4" plate like 7"x8" with the a edge that's 7" wide bent up 1" in about 45*, they can do that on site at most. Then take it home and drill like 9, 1/2" holes in the 7"x7" flat part, clean an oem pan (can even go used to avoid downtime), and weld her on through the holes!

That's my plan anyway, most dirt-bikes have 'drain holes' to weld in (and I got argon tanks plus aluminum wire for my MIG & TIG).

Jordan_H

Reaction score
I'll be making a skid plate sometime soon. It will be super easy once we get our car lift up. I'm going to 1/4 aluminum. Light weight and doesn't throw sparks

Back