What happens when an Accord owner joins a Cobalt forum?

Drift

Reaction score
There was less hate there than I was expecting.

I find peoples' views towards certain cars interesting. While we all have done some pretty extensive mods to our cars, sparing very little expense in most cases, most of us are very proud to show our cars off. However, I have been asked hundreds of times, "why mod an Accord?" To which I have various answers depending on the tone in which it was asked.

But while I was reading those threads, I found myself asking, "why are people modding these sh!tbox cobalts?" Putting myself on the other side. While the "hate" seems universal, (ricer, etc), the attitude that drives us to continue modding brings everyone back to the same level.

-My philosoraptor though of the day.

Philosoraptor-Ponders-Banned-Hollywood-02.jpg

mr. smith

Reaction score
^^^ yes im guilty of thinking that too! but here in okc alot of these kids have these cars especially the ss and they all look like crap and sound aweful.i dunno if its just the quality of the cars or the ppl who buy them...the cars are fast but cheap!

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
gotta love that people STILL equate all hondas with rice...

Yeah, a few of them jumped RIGHT to that. And I thought I was judgemental, lol.

someone on there said im glad to see your honda isnt riced out like your friends on the other forums haha

:rly:

There's people that think all Honda guys live and die by fast and furious, and that we're all in the "vtec yo" bed together.

cobalt = wannabe sports car PLUS, its a FWD like most honda's are and that makes pretty much all of it rice IMO

I'm taking a liking to these cars gradually, but yeah I mean it's a sportier looking Corolla. Though the 2.2 is rated at 155hp/150tq, though I'm curious how much of that actually gets to the wheels. I have yet to find out, lol.

I've seen plenty of riced out Cobalts.

So have I, Evan. I'm hoping I don't have to pull examples. :lawl:

There was less hate there than I was expecting.

I find peoples' views towards certain cars interesting. While we all have done some pretty extensive mods to our cars, sparing very little expense in most cases, most of us are very proud to show our cars off. However, I have been asked hundreds of times, "why mod an Accord?" To which I have various answers depending on the tone in which it was asked.

But while I was reading those threads, I found myself asking, "why are people modding these sh!tbox cobalts?" Putting myself on the other side. While the "hate" seems universal, (ricer, etc), the attitude that drives us to continue modding brings everyone back to the same level.

-My philosoraptor though of the day.

Philosoraptor-Ponders-Banned-Hollywood-02.jpg

I thought there would be more as well, Nick. Why anyone mods any car is up to them, some people mod the most worthless cars...but for whatever reason they're passionate about it. I've seen a modded Toyota Echo before, and while it was laughable, I had to admit the guy had ballz, and at least he wasn't driving a Prius or Smart car.

I've always wondered why anyone mods the Cobalt as well, until I've been in my fiance's. They do have potential in both the aesthetics and performance dept, surprisingly. But that's IF you get an LT or SS. If you get a base or LS, forget about it.

KO iNfAmOuS

Reaction score
Definitely liking how you promoted the site in your second link lol

metrick1235

Reaction score
My brother has the Caviler, its nice i will say but the only really good thing about it is that "some" parts are cheaper than my Honda. Its funny that people bash Honda and think that they all are ricers, and don't understand that any car..and i do mean any car can be a ricer... Put a 3 foot spoiler on it with some 14'' rims and glasspacks on a Corvette and its a ricer.... Also i saw alot of argument on the Caviler website that the Cobolt did not replace the Caviler except chevy released a statement that the Delta body is meant to replace the "beloved" J-body. J-body was the caviler.. Delta is the Cobolt, people need to stop bashing.. if thats what the owner likes then to each his own..

Drift

Reaction score
I thought there would be more as well, Nick. Why anyone mods any car is up to them, some people mod the most worthless cars...but for whatever reason they're passionate about it. I've seen a modded Toyota Echo before, and while it was laughable, I had to admit the guy had ballz, and at least he wasn't driving a Prius or Smart car.

I've always wondered why anyone mods the Cobalt as well, until I've been in my fiance's. They do have potential in both the aesthetics and performance dept, surprisingly. But that's IF you get an LT or SS. If you get a base or LS, forget about it.

I guess the point I was really trying to make is exactly that. . . To each his own. As I've gotten older I realize that more and more. Although, there are some cars that come into my shop that I simply cannot resist asking the owners, "Whats going on here? Why did you waste your money on a roof scoop that doesn't duct air into the cabin?" (just to name an example.)

My real quip with some of the comments I read in those threads is that those guys think that the Cobalts are superior cars to anything foreign. And while I can't really argue that our Accords are truly better, I can say that there is an entire thread of Accords showing more than 200k. How many J bodies can tout those numbers?

Now, to counterpoint last statement, I am actually impressed about how welcoming those guys seem to be. The "ricer" comments are to be expected.

dcmystery21

Reaction score
its funny to see how the term "ricer" has developed over the years...

It really came from the Jap's use of vehicles that ran on rice alcohol in sports car races way back in the day.

I don't see anyone on rice alcohol :D

Back