What is the correct procedure to change the power steering fluid?

rwong410

Reaction score
Its ok bro thats what 6thgen is all about.
IMO power steering should be changed every 50,000 for normal fluid or 100,000 miles for "high life". But you can never go wrong with what the manufacturer suggests. If your fluid is darker than normal then its time to change it.
The reservoir holds 0.4 L
There shouldn't be any problems of air getting into the system if they do occur just bleed it out.

I don't have a jack so how would you bleed it out when changing the fluid using the turkey baster method stated at the top of the thread?

DrocCa89

Reaction score
Yes sir thats what i do. suck it all out using the turkey baster and then fill it back up with new fluid.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
I don't have a jack so how would you bleed it out when changing the fluid using the turkey baster method stated at the top of the thread?
you pretty much have to jack up the front to properly bleed it. maybe go to a big parking lot where you can turn the steering wheel lock to lock as fast as you can? :lawl:

finch13

Reaction score

The power steering system is self bleeding. Any air in the pump, rack or hoses will get pumped into the reservoir.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
i only bled mine like halfway...it had a wicked noise for about 2 weeks after when the wheels were at full lock...

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
i just pump out the fluid in teh reservoir, add new fluid.. wait 2 weeks, then repeat.... do this 3-4 and u'll have fresh fluid in the system... to bleed the syste, just turn ur steering wheel to one side and hold for 2 secs, then to the other side for anothr 2 secs... repeat a few times and u're done

silverbullet99

Reaction score
you really shouldn't have to change the fluid unless you rebuilt or replaced the pump. I've never seen a service interval for p/s fluid change.

rwong410

Reaction score
you really shouldn't have to change the fluid unless you rebuilt or replaced the pump. I've never seen a service interval for p/s fluid change.

I haven't either but the fluid looks BLACK and I was under the impression that it's supposed to be red?

Back