what tells the transmission to gear down?(auto)

blankkoop

Reaction score
i have a 98 lx 4cyl ...no first gear... i start in D2 and go to D4 and it runs normal aside from having to down shift when coming to a stop or turning..

i noticed it doesn't gear down though...would not having a first gear cause it to not gear down or does some kind of sensor control this? when i put it in D1 it doe not engage as well as when i try to start out from D4 from a stop..

jsut realized i put this in wrong forum if somebody can move for me.

smerf

Reaction score
dam lol 187! You should be thinking about a new car. It might be the computer that senses when to shift?

juv290

Reaction score
i have a 98 lx 4cyl ...no first gear... i start in D2 and go to D4 and it runs normal aside from having to down shift when coming to a stop or turning..

i noticed it doesn't gear down though...would not having a first gear cause it to not gear down or does some kind of sensor control this? when i put it in D1 it doe not engage as well as when i try to start out from D4 from a stop..

jsut realized i put this in wrong forum if somebody can move for me.

Do u have any CEL?? You might need a new shift solenoid...about 230-250 not sure on price

Levi

Reaction score
shift control solenoid, had to replace that bad puppy awhile back. Then the new one started failing on me and thus my tranny died and had to be replaced :)

Also from what the mechanic told me, the reason why it doesn't go into 1st or any other gear is because the clutches in the tranny housing are out.

On mine, it would only work in 1st and 4th. I would have to put it in D1 and haul *** just enough to where I was at the right speed for 4th to be running in. Also it wouldn't downshift, even if you stomped on the gas pedal.

Back