What Transmission Part is this?

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
About a week ago I started having transmission problems again and the place I got the trans from said to clean or replace the solenoids.

So I got around to cleaning the solenoids and noticed one of those wire harnesses that clips in (don't know what they're called) and the part of the clip connected to the transmission looks like it snapped off and is just connected by the wires.
I have no idea what it is but when I got the CEL read it said "faulty shift control system" and one of the possible causes could be a poor electrical connection.

Here's a quick cell phone picture of it, I circled the part in red. Looking at it you would be standing on the side of the driver side fender facing the right. It's on top of the transmission close to the motor, right under the intake but slightly back towards the firewall.

IMG434-1_zpse32d8fe0.jpg

What exactly is this thing and what does it do? Should I replace it or what?
Also, how many transmission solenoids are there total?

Oh and it's a 2002 V6

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
I believe it's #14
I also had a difficult time trying to get to #12 and 13, Solenoid assembly's A and B. I got the bolt out of A but couldn't pull it out of the trans.

Update:
When I got it all back together it slips a little going into second gear but then once I drive a mile the CEL and TCS lights come on and D4 starts to flash.
I unhooked the battery and hooked it back up and the same thing happens, D4 flashes and it stays in first gear all the time and won't shift. When it does shift it'll shift back down then try to go up again but shifts back down real fast.
I changed the fluid a few days ago and it's still at the correct level so no leaks and it's not burning which is good.

Is my tranny toast?

Akingkhan

Reaction score
Try some Lucas stop slip transmission fix if it still is slippin
I know it's not the best thing 4 ur trans but try it n see if it works worst case it doesn't help n u have 2 drain it

001Stunna

Reaction score
I believe it's #14
I also had a difficult time trying to get to #12 and 13, Solenoid assembly's A and B. I got the bolt out of A but couldn't pull it out of the trans.

Update:
When I got it all back together it slips a little going into second gear but then once I drive a mile the CEL and TCS lights come on and D4 starts to flash.
I unhooked the battery and hooked it back up and the same thing happens, D4 flashes and it stays in first gear all the time and won't shift. When it does shift it'll shift back down then try to go up again but shifts back down real fast.
I changed the fluid a few days ago and it's still at the correct level so no leaks and it's not burning which is good.

Is my tranny toast?

A broken oil pressure switch WILL cause bad shifting and possible other issues. As you can see you have two of those switches...one for 2nd and one for 3rd clutch pressure switch.

Fix and replace the switch and recheck. You might just get lucky.
Personally i'd recommend anyone to change the 2nd/3rd clutch pressure switches if they never have in the life of the car. Switches and gaskets cost about $100 for both together. In my case it took a tiny bit of hesitation on 2nd and made the tranny feel buttery smooth again.

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
A broken oil pressure switch WILL cause bad shifting and possible other issues. As you can see you have two of those switches...one for 2nd and one for 3rd clutch pressure switch.

Fix and replace the switch and recheck. You might just get lucky.
Personally i'd recommend anyone to change the 2nd/3rd clutch pressure switches if they never have in the life of the car. Switches and gaskets cost about $100 for both together. In my case it took a tiny bit of hesitation on 2nd and made the tranny feel buttery smooth again.

It was the #14 and 16 on the top of the transmission, it looks just like the other #14 and 16 on the bottom of the trans at the front, the one on the diagram in the bottom right corner.
In the link you posted it says that part is only $50 so I guess I'll pick one up and test my luck.

001Stunna

Reaction score
It was the #14 and 16 on the top of the transmission, it looks just like the other #14 and 16 on the bottom of the trans at the front, the one on the diagram in the bottom right corner.
In the link you posted it says that part is only $50 so I guess I'll pick one up and test my luck.

So you already changed out the broken one or still not yet?
The sensors connect to the tranny via a small prong that screws in...do not go crazy over-tightening them and do not tighten them from the plastic base. Use a wrench on the metal body.

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
So you already changed out the broken one or still not yet?
The sensors connect to the tranny via a small prong that screws in...do not go crazy over-tightening them and do not tighten them from the plastic base. Use a wrench on the metal body.

No I haven't bought them yet, I only need the one on top. You can see in the picture where the metal part snapped while still plugged in, the wires and stuff inside were all dirty, not sure if they're all connected or what. It has wrench flats on the metal base to tighten/loosen it but I didn't have a wrench big enough or channel locks small enough to get in there.
Also, I heard that when D4 flashes it means that the trans lost oil pressure so it makes sense as this is an oil pressure switch.

Another thing, when I was test driving it when it went into limp mode all of my led dash lights went out. Kind of an insult to injury haha.

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
Went on a hunt for the oil pressure switch but NOWHERE had it but Honda which was like $70. Just shelled it out since I'm tired of not driving my own car.
So I got the part in and it actually drove decent for almost ten miles then it started acting up again.
Jerks going into second, when it wants to go into second, then it floats into third but it'll float in and out of gear. When coming to a complete stop it'll make a lurch forward and same when I switch from park or reverse to a drive gear.

Somebody help me out please lol.

Back