Whats included in a full timing belt service?

stevenrtran

Reaction score
Sorry for posting here, but I'm in the middle of speaking with someone about getting a full timing belt service. So what should generally be included? He's a friend of a friend, and he's offered to replace the following for $550.

- (2) timing belts
- water pump
- drive belts
- tensioner
- idler
- tensioner pulley
- cam seal
- crank seal
- oil pump seal
- balance shaft seal
- coolant flush

Is he missing anything else? and is this worth the price? A quick response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Solidus

Reaction score
That sounds about right. Just make sure you replace all those seals properly. But keep in mind its more than likely 550 just to install so once you add parts it will be roughly around 1,000+ depending on parts used. I think you can get the labor a little cheaper. The most important thing is being able to trust the person putting it in.

Personally I would not put in any other parts than Brand New OEM Honda parts when it comes to timing belt.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
$550 to do all that is a good price, IF he knows what he's doing. I paid a little more than that for labor at the dealer back when I did mine, but I got OEM parts for a great deal. Speaking of OEM parts, only go with OEM for this service interval as said above.

Igor

Under construction
Reaction score
Idk why you would need to change ALL those parts,it'll be nice of corse,but are they bad?some people replace timing belt+water pump at once, but it isn't necessary if your pump is fine and only belt messed up. My local dealer (I wouldn't trust too many people with this job) charges $400 for all belts replacement. Now if you want to replace your water pump +$200 and so on

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^It’s a preventative maintenance measure. Most people do the water pump along with the timing belt because you have to take out everything to get to the pump that you would to get to the timing belt, so it makes sense to do it while you’re in there. Plus with Honda’s TB maintenance interval being every 105k miles, by that time the pump is pretty old and it would suck if it went bad on its own, and you had to pay such a large labor fee twice for something you could have done in one shot. Anyway, that’s the reasoning.

As for the seals, I didn’t do those. Some do. But I think everything else on his list, I did. Of course my motor was out for my swap so it didn’t cost me anything to change out those components, everyone’s situation is different. Some things are worth doing, others are a personal judgement call.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Our jobs include -

Belts, water pump, coolant, and if necessary the tensioner. Anything else is extra if the tech notices it as needing replaced.

Back