Whats your MPG on a full tank?

kamozee

Reaction score
I just did a trip from Toronto to Chicago and I drove 70-80 mph the whole time in 5th gear so the RPM's were about 2800-3000

The gas light went on at 669km (about 418 miles) and I filled the tank with 13.9 gallons

So I got only 30 mpg with 100% city driving. Most likely due to the high revs

SpiKeZ

Reaction score
When I first read this thread i thought i had really bad mileage. I was getting 300 or even 280 with a tank. But i realized that an oil change was due and i drive a lot in the city. I seafoamed last week with an oil change and this weekend i went down to atlantic city. I got approximately 260 miles with half of my tank (i factored in the fact that the fuel guage goes over full) so i would say i can get 500 miles per tank give or take 20 with all highway.

I have no idea whether or not the seafoam helped in my mpg or not but ill see during this week and compare it to my 300 per tank.

BTW, i have a 100% stock 02 accord ex

UPDATE: Turns out seafoam didnt do much for me. I was still getting around 300 for a tank (or 18mpg) for my normal driving (about 50/50 local highway). I only had an increase of mpg because I had driven all highway to atlantic city.

After a month or so I decided to try something new to increase my mpg. I ended up getting 370-390 per tank (23 mpg)!

The secret: I drove with a very light foot and tried to keep the rpm at 2000-2200. When accelerating to get on the highway no more than 3200 and when I reached the limit (55mph) I released the pedal slightly so that the car would shift gears and I would be able to cruise at around 2000. I never went over 3500.

Final verdict: My gas mileage was affected greatly by my driving style. I considered myself to be a semi-aggressive driver. While doing my experiment, I felt like a loser always being on the right lane and watching people go around me. However, I ended up getting around 80 miles for free. I'm not so sure if its worth driving so slow and mpg-cautious for 80 miles but it definitely lowers the chance of me speeding. Anyways, I just thought I should update this thread so that those of you out there who can't figure out why you're getting bad gas mileage should consider your driving habits. :thinking:

rwong410

Reaction score
It helps a lot when you use cruise control as much as possible. I consistently get 28-29 mpg with 80 highway/20 city while cruising at 75 mph when on highway.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
UPDATE: Turns out seafoam didnt do much for me. I was still getting around 300 for a tank (or 18mpg) for my normal driving (about 50/50 local highway). I only had an increase of mpg because I had driven all highway to atlantic city.

Yeah, my mileage jumps tremedously when i take a long trip. About 150 miles per tank. Most of my driving is to school which consists of usually 3 trips that is 2 miles. So yeah, my mileage usually sucks during the school year.

quadrinary

Reaction score
I've got a '99 EXV6.

Usually I get around 350-380 miles per tank (generally 15, 16 gal per fill up). My drive daily is 26 mile each way to work on a heavily congested stretch of highway from Chicago out to the burbs. Stop and go KILLS MPG. I finally did an experiment last fall when going to visit my sister in Omaha. I filled up near my office (10% ethanol is also killer. Stupid IL requirements) and headed out west on I-88/80. On the way there, I stopped about every 200 miles to fill and take a pit-stop, and watched my needle get me about 100 miles/quarter tank. On the way home, I took a greater gamble. Knowing my low-fuel light has never worked, I decided to see if I could get all the way from Omaha to Chicago on a single tank. I filled up at the station right next to my little sister's house, peed, bid her farewell, and headed out.

I got crossed into Iowa nearly instantly, drove around 75mph, kept going. Finally got to the Mississippi River, kept going. By that point I was at about 1/3 of a tank. I kept cruise on to maintain 75mph, and finally got paranoid about 20 miles away from my apartment downtown. At 450 miles, I loaded in 15.5 or 16 gallons; can't remember exactly how much. That breaks down to 28-29mpg, and since the sticker value on the '99 V6 was 28, I was pretty pleased (I think the car had about 115k miles on it then, 127k now).

Anyway, I'm moving to California next month and I'll be hauling a trailer... sadly I know my MPG will be taking a hit... hoping I can just get 20...

Any ideas on what sort of tuning up I should do before heading out? I'm set to run a tank of seafoam next week, did plugs/wires/cap/rotor 20k miles ago. Never did PCV or EGR valves though. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited:

changaroo

Reaction score
^ tranny cooler if possible esp if you are towing on that v6 auto tranny :D

beardohio

Reaction score
2.3 I4 SOHC Vtec I only get 21mpg tops. Not much highway, mostly city but I mean I'm lucky to get 300 to a tank. Only 87k miles on the car, anything I can do?

AFAccord

Reaction score
2.3 I4 SOHC Vtec I only get 21mpg tops. Not much highway, mostly city but I mean I'm lucky to get 300 to a tank. Only 87k miles on the car, anything I can do?

Sounds like something is wrong with the car. Emissions system most likely (cat, O2 sensors, EGR).

My car regularly gets ~350miles/tank. ~380miles/tank if I drive conservatively, or as low as ~320miles/tank if I beat on the car constantly. All of these numbers are on the low side considering I used to get 400, 430, and 380 respectively when the car was stock and had the F23 transmission.

beardohio

Reaction score
Sounds like something is wrong with the car. Emissions system most likely (cat, O2 sensors, EGR).

My car regularly gets ~350miles/tank. ~380miles/tank if I drive conservatively, or as low as ~320miles/tank if I beat on the car constantly. All of these numbers are on the low side considering I used to get 400, 430, and 380 respectively when the car was stock and had the F23 transmission.

K well everything is stock. What would I want to check?

Back