which high flow cat?

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
personally, id go with the first one, since it looks more like a cat....if they do a visual inspection, they'd be fooled, haha

HomerJay

Reaction score
If the pictures are accurate, the first one looks like you'll need to have flanges welded on the ends. The second one is a "direct fit" which replaces your existing cat.

HillACCORD

Reaction score
If the pictures are accurate, the first one looks like you'll need to have flanges welded on the ends. The second one is a "direct fit" which replaces your existing cat.

well if this is the case, then i will probably get the second one...does anyone know for sure if you have to weld on to the first one?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's an easy way to figure it out ^^

www.magnaflow.com - look up part number. Chances are, you'll need flanges welded on.

Or follow their directions -

Description
Round 2 Inlet/Outlet Mid O2 Boss

*We recommend contacting us or MagnaFlow to make sure this converter will fit your application.
The 54000 Series Converter with midbed O2 sensor boss is perfect for many small vehicles with O2 sensors in the middle of a round converter.

Round 2 Inlet/Outlet Mid O2 Boss

Crono139

Reaction score
The second cat that you posted, #22642, is a direct-fit modification.

You'll probably just need the hardware (gaskets, bolts, etc.), though. RT sells a hardware kit for their converters, or you can just go to your local hardware store for the stuff.

EDIT: It may not be high-flow, by the way. No results from Google list it as that.

Last edited:

HomerJay

Reaction score
Get a random technologies cat.
+1...even though I haven't yet installed my RT cat. It did finally arrive today. I had some UPS issues...which kept me waiting long enough that I now have a header on the way, too. So instead of replacing the cat, I'm changing everything from the engine to the rear bumper...:D

Here's the RT's direct fit cat for 98-02 I-4s. It definitely doesn't look OEM. But I don't really think it needs to look the same if it's still effective at removing emissions. I'm sure the shorter element has a little something to do with improved flow.

20080729-01.jpg

The welds are very clean!

20080729-02.jpg

The construction is top notch. Now I need to wait for the header (the wait extends to the factory!)...:p

The RT set me back $280 including the gasket/bolt installation kit. I bought it from www.ultrarev.com...EXCELLENT customer service! Compared to the OEM price ($680 from online discount Honda dealers), it's a deal.

Last edited:
Back