whine from timing belt

IR II IC IK

Reaction score
so i've had this issue for awhile and its a whine that increases with rpm's. yesterday my timing belt was due so we replaced the timing belt and balance shaft belt, water pump and both tensioners and started it up without the alternator or power steering pump and it still whines. although it definitely sounds different. i can figure out whats wrong cause i originally thought it could be the water pump bearing or the tensioners but i guess i was wrong. and its just an annoying high pitched noise that i was gone.

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
The pitch is probably different because the tension is now different. See if you can isolate where the whine is coming from, that will help you. Could be the bearing in the water pump, but could also just be over tightened or too loose.

001Stunna

Reaction score
The pitch is probably different because the tension is now different. See if you can isolate where the whine is coming from, that will help you. Could be the bearing in the water pump, but could also just be over tightened or too loose.

He claims to have replaced the waterpump with a new one though (i'm hoping). & assuming that the timing belt, balance shaft belt, waterpump, both tensioner pulleys and springs were installed correctly and to the proper specs...I'd say try to narrow down where the whine is actually coming from...maybe its not the belt...

Maybe a video showing the sound you hear...

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
I must have read that wrong :lawl: sorry. As for the tension, there should be a certain amount of deflection in the belts. I'm not sure of the proper amount, but I believe the Haynes manual tells you.

IR II IC IK

Reaction score
im pretty sure my issue is that they are over tensioned. my dad had previously done work around the timing belt and tightened it up because he said they were loose. and it was only after that, that they began whining. now the other day when we replaced all the belts, both tensioners and the water pump that the whining was louder. but i did some research and i found that the timing belt should have about 90 degrees of deflection and the balance shaft belt should actually be pretty loose, not to the point where it would skip teeth but still failry loose otherwise it will cause noise. i actually just received the haynes manual the other day so ill check it out tonight and readjust tension tomorrow. hopefully i can access the tensioners fairly easy without too much work.

bagoon316

Reaction score
from my understanding, ive been told its just the tension. i had my cb7 serviced along with a honda mechanic, so i could learn, and even he put a little too much tension on it. he said it's somewhat common for it to sometimes whine depending on the tension. my current cg whines from the tbelt. i didnt do the service, so I assume someone did it when i bought the car at 79k miles. i have 101k on it now, and still havent replaced the tbelt or pump.

thatklazzickid

Reaction score
mine had the timing belt and water pump replaced and it whined too!!! i hate it! i took it back and they said it was because the belt is new but would go away within a few thousand miles. its been like 15k and it still does it. i need to take it and get it fixed cus it is the most annoying sound on the planet! especially around 25mph, any throttle input at that speed intensifies that sound.

if you find where to change the tension, post it here. ill prob just have to take it and get it fixed though

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
mine does it to..I ignore it haha. I did the tbelt myself and I've done a few others at work. some whine some don't, did them all the same.

Back