whistling noise after header insall

Reaction score
just got my header kit install on my 2001 F23a1 today and I notice on the drive home a whistling noise when ever I hit 3000 rpms or higher I'm not sure if this is normal or a exhaust leak there's also a burning rubber smell when ever I turn on the vents I popped the hood and the smell vanished I couldn't see anything burning has this happened to any one before

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Was it a new header? If not was it in good condition? Did you use brand new gaskets? Did you tighten the hardware enough?

If the header was brand new the burning smell was the new metal breaking in.

Reaction score
yes it was brand new and came with all new gaskets and hardware I think your right about the smell because the more I drive it the more the smell goes away I just cant figure out where the whistle noise is coming from I got under the car and didn't notice anything I'm thinking I might upload a video to show you guys what I'm talking about it only makes the noise around 3000 rpms when vtec kicks in :banghead:

CokeZero

Reaction score
If you're sure that there is no exhaust leaks, do you have a cold air or ram air intake on the car?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
exhaust leak

OR

never seen it, but ya get a piece of welding stuck INSIDE the pipe...

-very- uncommon

nyknick1015

Reaction score
I had that problem on my accord. What it ended up being was the metal of the headers is much thinner than OEM Iron Cast headers. Most aftermarket headers are stainless steel which is much lighter than the OEM. What your really hearing is just the engine firing and as you rev it starts to sound like a whistle.

Some "quality" headers use thicker gauge of Stanless steel so you hear it less but thats really all your hearing. The thinner gauge of SS headers you see are often prone to cracking or crappy welds

As for the smell, I would check and see if its rubbing on anything that may burn. If not it could just be breaking in a bit which is normal for new exhaust parts. just takes some time

Reaction score
Yes I have a AEM CAI and yea the header is T304 stainless steel well if there's no leak I'm not worried one thing I did notice though is the the header turned a ligh gold color but the down pipe is still silver for the most part I get the the pipes will change color with heat but I also heard that the pipes turning gold or blue means your running to lean or rich is this myth or fact

Last edited:

nyknick1015

Reaction score
It will turn gold then a brownish color over the years. if it turns blue, it means its getting to hot in that specific cylinder. You dont want it to turn blue

Back