Wider Tires

rwong410

Reaction score
I have some 205/60/15 tires on right now and I'm about to buy a new set since they're getting kinda bald. I know the stock tires are 195/65/15 so would it make a difference in performance if I went back to the 195's?

Winter

Reaction score
Short answer, within the same tire model and provided you have a 6" or wider wheel, probably a very small reduction in ultimate grip when using the 195/65/15 tire.

Check the tire ply construction of the two different sizes. The 60 series 205 may have more plies. In general, a 65 series tire is not consider a performance type. A 60 series tire is in between touring and performance series, which generally start with the 55 series. This is a great generalization but applicable in a broad stroke sense. Check if the 205 and the 195 have the same number of plies.

Tires within the same model with a higher speed rating frequently have a stronger, stiffer construction (possibly more plies) producing a better steering response.

The height of the side wall is about the same for the two sizes, so steering response due to sidewall flex should be similar. 205 x 0.60 = 123 mm, 195 x 0.65 = 127 mm.

Check Tire Rack for some good information.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testSearch.jsp
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/reviews/MenuServlet?search=surveyComments

Last edited:

nexTOme

Reaction score
195 vs 205....we're talking about like 10mm difference.....

street use, daily driver, on our car.......no you wont feel n e thing....dont waste your money/time....(you might feel tiny tiny bit of acceleration improvement, but even then......its all in your head...)

if it was something like 195/65 vs 225/40 then yes...

talontsiawd

Reaction score
The actual tire is what will make the difference. You probably will notice no difference assuming you got the EXACT same tire but you will probably notice some difference, good or bad, from the actual tire you choose.

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
I got 205's because they physically look better. Anything I bought would have been better than what was on the car when I bought it(used).

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I dont get the question...you're just going back to stock tire size. It'll ride/perform just like it did before you put on the wider tires.

rwong410

Reaction score
I dont get the question...you're just going back to stock tire size. It'll ride/perform just like it did before you put on the wider tires.

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't too clear. I've been using the 205's for so long that I don't remember what the stock tires feel like.

Back