Will these gauge overlay's work?

Bax

Reaction score
The needles on mine do not seem to move as freely as they should / get stuck.

Open up your gauge cluster, and get a fork (yes, from the kitchen), and use the very tip of the fork like a crow bar and just slightly move the needles up. The needles are just gripped onto a tiny metal pole-like object, pretty much a small needle, so regardless of how close they are to the gauges, they will work the same. So yeah, just use the fork to move the needles away from the gauges a little bit, and that should help.

NocturnalEvo

Reaction score
I've never had these on my car personally, but my friend had me install some into his Xterra. It's really simple, at least his was, but I'm assuming ours would be the same.
Just put the gauge overlays in place, run the wires wherever you deem fit to be out of the way, and hook up the ground, and then hook the positive to a power source that comes on with the interior lights. That's how we did it anyways.

Post pics asap :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tips!

Do aftermarket overlays typically have some type of adhesive on the back? or do they just fit into place on their own?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I wish they made them in just white, without the red crap.

I wonder if there’s a way to cut the feeds to the red circular parts so they don’t light up, without damaging the overlays. If it was just the white numbers…that would look pretty damn good.

cirsurvive711

Reaction score
I feel like these will only look good on our cars with red led's lighting up the needles. Nonetheless I'm very curious to see how they turn out.

Bax

Reaction score
I wonder if there’s a way to cut the feeds to the red circular parts so they don’t light up, without damaging the overlays. If it was just the white numbers…that would look pretty damn good.
Somebody might just have to buy one of these and play with it. lol
That would look really good though.

NocturnalEvo

Reaction score
Ya sorry about no replies. I got the gauges, but have been extremely busy and havent had a chance to put em on yet.

These have no adhesive in the back of them, so just trying to find a glue or something that will work that wont react in anyway to the heat the lights generate. Any suggestions?

As far as the gauges, they look pretty neat in person. I was expecting crappy stuff, these are pretty decent lol

I've also decided to make the needles clear, and am also trying to find a way to make them red now. Bought some model car spray enamel in red, hopefully that should do the trick. I wasn't too crazy about the red-tape idea that I saw someone post up a DIY about. We'll see what happens though. I should have some pics by the weekend.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I would have left the amber film on the needles, it is there to disperse the light evenly. Unfortunately, no paint on the needles will work, it's been tried. The tape has seemed to be the best answer so far.

+1 on thin double sided tape. I would just use several very small squares here and there to hold the faces in place. Using too thick of tape could interfere with then needle sweeping over it.

Back