Will this quick-drain plug fit a 2000 Accord auto trans pan?

Igor

Under construction
Reaction score
Will this plug also fit the transmission pan of a 2000 Honda Accord EX with V-6 engine:

http://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-F-106-...qid=1386799257&sr=8-7&keywords=oil+drain+plug

Bought this car used, not sure if the thread on the transmission pan plug is same as the oil pan.

I believe it is the same not sure about it especially M/T. But why would you want it on your tranny pan anyway? It's not that often that you change your trans fluid + if the tranny "acting up" it's not recommended to change fluid at al, just add if needed. The valve is a cool idea but I would not use it in any situation oil pan or transmission pan simply because of the clearance. That thing would "catch" something and break rite off quick!

Clevor

Reaction score
The reason why I am interested in that plug is I am going to try that 'change one quart at a time' philosophy. I bought my 2000 Accord used with 153,000 miles. I do not know the past history. A VIN check indicates the Honda recall was not fullfilled on this car so the owner didn't take it in. However the car shifts fine and I checked the tags and the transmission is original (not rebuilt).

I read one post on the web where the guy recommends changing just one quart at a time spread over a couple of months. So a quick drain plug like this is just the ticket. It would be easy to meter out one quart and close it up.

Also the drain plug on the V-6 transmission is recessed a bit and protected from a direct hit from below (unlike the oil pan). On the other hand, the clearance issues may prevent being able to spin the plug on so I wanted to know if anybody did this.

I know I will have to drain 3 qts to replace the plug, but I would just put 2 qts old oil back in with the new qt.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Given the position of the drain plug, that’s more parts to get seized up with the way that valve works. And it would be a hassle to tighten down since you can’t use a socket. I’ve never heard of draining 1 quart at a time, just draining and refilling 3 times. I don’t see the need, I’d just drain and refill once and be done. But if you’re set on it, give it a try.

Clevor

Reaction score
I’ve never heard of draining 1 quart at a time, just draining and refilling 3 times. I don’t see the need, I’d just drain and refill once and be done. But if you’re set on it, give it a try.

Some follow the school of thought that if your Honda has 150,000+ miles with the original transmission, let sleeping dogs lie and don't change the fluid at all. Run it till it dies. The idea is that new fluid will dissolve and loosen up sludge and particles that will cause the tranny to slip and clog the valves. Honda themselves will tell you not to powerflush the tranny on these 1998-2002 Hondas, because it blows crap out of the filter and spreads it throughout the tranny.

One guy who has seen several trannies last close to 200,000 miles recommends gradually replacing the fluid in this manner. To me it's a compromise and worth trying. Also I am having trouble shifting into D4 on cold mornings, and I am thinking maybe the valves could use some loosening up with new fluid, but nothing to shock the tranny.

What gets me is the tranny shifts beautifully otherwise. Once I get into D4 on cold mornings, no shifting issues when I drive away. No trouble during the day either. I am in Hawaii and 'cold mornings' mean 68-70 F. And over here, they charge $3500 to replace the tranny in this car. :mad: No wonder, I got a price of a used tranny from a junkyard and they wanted $2500! :flipoff:

simplicity

Reaction score
Have you considered just doing one drain and fill per 10k miles?

Also keep in mind the factory drain plug has a magnet on it to catch shavings....if you replace it with the fumuto you are removing that extra level of protection.

Bax

Reaction score
I'd personally just keep the original drain plug, it's not that hard to remove to drain the fluid.
It's a bolt. Not a padlock.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Drain 3 put in 3 new, from honda.

If/when it looks like crap, replace that too.

Your talking to a guy with 210k on his v6 auto, after auto-cross.

n71802238_31820453_1782.jpg

Back