Won't start - any advise?

Butcher27

Reaction score
Daughter gets into an accident a month ago and totals the Chevy Cobalt I bought her for Christmas ...totals it and I'm out the $5000.00 I paid for it as I did not get collision coverage on it. Lesson learned.
So I go out and get her what I feel and what everyone tells me is a very reliable Honda this passed weekend. A 2002 Accord EX 2 door coupe with the 3.0 6 cylinder engine ...80,000 miles and the car is spotless. The person that had it before me took very good care of it and the inside doesn't even look like anyone ever sat in it. The exterior is beautiful and paint is perfect. Anyhow ...I surprise her with the car on Saturday after I drove it home "illegally" for about 30 miles. I had some older plates that weren't being used, and the car ran absolutely perfect. Went to the DMV yesterday got the car all registered, insured, etc. Came home put the new plates on the new sticker in the window and said ok let's take her for a ride down to the store for your first ride. She gets in the car and turns it over and all it would do is crank - no firing, no starting just turns over. It had been raining all day and I was as surprised as her but said hmm ...try it again. Nothing ...same thing. So she gets out of the drivers side and I get in and try it several times ...nothing, just cranks and wont fire. I must have started this car a dozen times or more over the weekend. It was dark outside at this point and its raining and now I'm getting a bit ticked off and starting to look around at what I might be missing ...being that I never had a Honda and maybe there is something stupid I am not doing correct. After several attempts I finally said the hell with it and went inside and started to do some online research. I see that there has been issues with the ignition switch and will need to troubleshoot this when able but what I did notice as well when I was trying to start the car was that I could not get the car out of park ...oh by the way it is an automatic. I figured maybe the vehicle wasn't in park all the way and wanted to just pull it down into neutral and put it back in park just in case ...but was unable to. I did at one point force it down and got it to move but thought that this is strange that both of these issues happened at the same time. I'm thinking of stopping by the local Honda dealer on the way home and getting a new ignition switch ...just the electronic module portion ($60.00) not the whole assembly ($214.00) as I don't believe I need the whole thing and give that a try. Is there any chance I might have just a bad fuel pump fuse or something as simple as that ?
Any help is surely appreciated so I can put the smile back on my daughter's face.

Thanks, Butch

Butcher27

Reaction score
Got home tonight and tried to start it and without an issue it started right up. Decided to take it for a quick ride to make sure everything was fine and the check engine light came on. Drove down to Advance Auto and had them hook it to the analyzer and it came up with a P1457 code. I have no idea if this has anything to do with why it wouldn't start yesterday. I'm thinking it might have something to do with it raining all day yesterday ...confused.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
P1457 is evap leak, never seen one cause no-start.

Got cranking?
Check for spark.
Check to see if MIL light stays on WHILE cranking.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Lol, redundacy, Malfunction Indicator Light light :D

Last edited:

Butcher27

Reaction score
Stopping by NAPA on the way home to pickup a Evap Canister vent shut valve to take care of the Check Engine Light that I got last night ...P1457 code.

I'm thinking the not starting problem I experienced the other night when it was raining has something to do with the moisture and sitting for a couple of days not running. I wish I knew where to start to check for why moisture is causing a no start issue. If there was a distributor cap, I would know where to go and replace it, but with having coil packs I'm not too sure where to start.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I have only had one coil fail in 1/4mil miles, usually you get a miss, you'de need at least 3 dead.

Injector fail, also need 3.

Fuel pumps usually work, or fail, not flippy-floppy crap.

Leaves electric, either ecm or power. MIL comes on WHILE cranking, no light=no ecm, so next step is DVOM pokin

xci.ed6

Reaction score
K, some relays can intermitetly fail, mostly old main relays due to solder cracking. I just fixed those by re-melting the solder.

Yeah, it added 15min, but worth the $60 it saved me!

Back