High Mileage 6th Gens

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
How often you still drive yours ? still enjoying it since you got the caddy ?

I still can’t get used to calling it a “Caddy”, this is my first GM car so I just haven’t used the typical lingo that has become common tongue among GM fans, that nickname just feels foreign to me coming from a Honda haha so I just refer to it as the ATS. Plus For some reason the term Caddy reminds me of their 90’s and 2000’s cars which were just dreadful in terms of quality, interior, fit & finish, panel gap, etc. :lawl:

Anyway sorry for the tangent. The Accord sat for awhile due to needing new rear wheel hub bearing assemblies, by the time I had finally finished that some things happened like our Toyota Venza getting wrecked and a tree falling on our house and money was feeling tight so I just didn’t bother getting a new battery to replace the one that had gone flat. But it is up and running again and I have been driving it a lot, but luckily this winter has been mild so I have been getting the ATS out more than other winters. The car is such a champ, who knows if the auto in it originally might have failed but this thing has just been amazing since the swap...no serious issues at all.

I still enjoy the Accord, the 6MT/J32 swap is one of few mods that has not lost its luster over time and still puts a smile on my face. I enjoy both cars for different reasons but I love the V6, having exhaust noise, the fact it’s basically a 1 of 1 car, the memories I have with it, etc. The thing that makes the Accord special, despite its high mileage, rust, and clearcoat failing, is that I will likely never mod a car this heavily again. I had a vision for it when it was stock and made it come true, that might never happen again. I will say I had to get used to the ride again haha, and driving a very low car around the city.

cg4ever

Reaction score
Sorry for the Caddy term, i'm not a us citizen and didn't know it wasn't that much appreciated, it's just that i've heard here and there some people calling them "Caddy's" so though it was a simple abbreviation. As for the Accord i think it's a special car too and can't imagine how fun it would be with a J32/6spd swap.

In united states you're extremely lucky to be able to swap things all over the car and still able to pass inspection. Here in my country you can do almost nothing to it, it's extremely strict and if i would dare to come to inspection with a different engine they will instantly show me red flag and tell me to come back with the original engine.

So i'm stuck with my little 2.0 vtec 147bhp but it run great no complain, however a little more torque would have been welcome... We got the CG2 as well here but insurance cost you an arm and with the new european low emission zones cars with high co2 g/miles are starting getting banned from many cities. For example end of 2024 my coupe is banned...:sad:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Sorry for the Caddy term, i'm not a us citizen and didn't know it wasn't that much appreciated, it's just that i've heard here and there some people calling them "Caddy's" so though it was a simple abbreviation. As for the Accord i think it's a special car too and can't imagine how fun it would be with a J32/6spd swap.

In united states you're extremely lucky to be able to swap things all over the car and still able to pass inspection. Here in my country you can do almost nothing to it, it's extremely strict and if i would dare to come to inspection with a different engine they will instantly show me red flag and tell me to come back with the original engine.

So i'm stuck with my little 2.0 vtec 147bhp but it run great no complain, however a little more torque would have been welcome... We got the CG2 as well here but insurance cost you an arm and with the new european low emission zones cars with high co2 g/miles are starting getting banned from many cities. For example end of 2024 my coupe is banned...:sad:

Oh no worries, I wasn't offended or anything! You're right, it is a common term thrown around and I hear it all the time in various circles.

The more I learn about car cultures outside the US the more I appreciate what we have. I used to hear from Canadian 6GA owners how much more expensive it was to get certain 6GA parts just being in Canada, can't imagine how that is exponentially magnified in other countries where these cars are even less common. I don't even have inspection where I live, thank God. If I did I doubt the Accord would pass because there is a permanent p1656 code for the automatic transaxle unit circuit...which is completely gone haha. Oh and the p1456 fuel vapor code I gave up trying to solve. If inspection is ever reinstated here I will be the guy paying someone under the table to look the other way and give me the certification haha.

So that car banning thing is reallly happening? I feel like I've read about different European cities threatening to do it but so many people drive cars that would be forbidden that it just isn't realistic to try and legislate that. Personally I think it is ridiculous, I would be livid if someone tried to mess with my hobby. Anyway what are you going to do when 2024 rolls around? Or can you just pay a higher tax and keep it?

cg4ever

Reaction score
How you can't get any inspection ? Didn't even know this was possibe, crazy.. The reason why they don't let us do whatever we want here is because in their mind the manufacturer released a car specificly tested with its original parts.

This means if we want to replace any important part on the car like braking system or suspensions the replacing parts need a special certificate called tuv. This paper proves that those parts have been technically tested under various circumstances and meet or surpass factory parts specifications. Without this certificate you don't pass inspection.

Also if you install any non factory part and for example lower your car you have to pass a specific called "tuning" inspection where they mesure everything. You have a height limit and some camber and toe tolerance to respect, if you exceed those tolerance you simply don't pass inspection. And those are only few examples.

Thing i don't understand is if you don't have any inspection how do insurance plays ? What happend if you got an accident with someone that have neglate his car and installed some junk ebay parts without any guaranty that those parts are road safe ? but not only for insurances compagnies because we don't care about them anyway xD but more importantly for us and our safety and cars. I wouldn't be confident driving in a city where there is no inspection at all due the fact there may be perhaps many unsafe cars rolling around ?!

As for the car banning yes, it does really happening. It depends what category is our car emmission wise. My coupe is Euro 2 and the gasoline Euro 2 can circulate until end of 2024, after that it's thank you and get the **** out. Diesel cars have less marging time and have more restrictions than gasoline. My brother has a 2001 Mercedes diesel Euro 3 and since 31 december 2019 he can't drive in major cities anymore.

We already pay some ridiculous taxes here..no way i give them one more penny ! :) No matter what i'll keep my coupe, i like this car too much to see it getting away. I tried to conviced myself to "maybe" look for something else but i can't found any car that i found as elegant and beautiful as the CG coupe...

I'll probably keep it in a garage out of a low emission zone perimeter since i'm not too far from those borders.. So i'll have to get it from there and ride only outside low emission zones ( mainly big cities ). Could also be possible that until then i leave the country and move to another place, it's in some plans..we'll see...

paypalbid

Reaction score
Bought my 4cyl in March 1998 with 27 miles on the Odometer. Donated the car to charity February 2020 with approximately 485,000 miles. Major repairs trans rebuild at 150k and head gasket at 395k.

Back