SRI Airflow

cliffsta

Reaction score
the battery in our engine bays is actually a pretty decent heat shield for SRIs come to think of it...

You know, I'm kinda thinking the same thing. The battery is right between the filter on the SRI and the manifold.

As for it blocking airflow, I doubt it highly. The majority of the air that the SRI is sucking up is either coming up the tube from the factory resonator or in from the nose. Forward motion of the car and the movement of the air isn't going to let much hot air from around the engine and exhaust get up to that filter, in my opinion.

after1.jpg

angelusnhc

Reaction score
You know, I'm kinda thinking the same thing. The battery is right between the filter on the SRI and the manifold.

As for it blocking airflow, I doubt it highly. The majority of the air that the SRI is sucking up is either coming up the tube from the factory resonator or in from the nose. Forward motion of the car and the movement of the air isn't going to let much hot air from around the engine and exhaust get up to that filter, in my opinion.

after1.jpg

i have an aem so it doesnt sit so far in like yours does. ill get pics up soon. my card reader is being stupid

angelusnhc

Reaction score
here are the pictures of my intake with the heatshield. the heatshield is actually cutting into the insulation on the bottom of the hood. also notice that the battery is actually pushing the intake filter in at the corner

img0050xw0.jpg

img0051oe7.jpg

Tek_Rice

Reaction score
^
LoL at the heat shield, because aluminum is a great insulator of heat!

There are some people who use the dryer duct method to "force" air into the engine bay. But if your car is moving above 5mph, the ambient temperature in the bay will be close to the outside temperature.

5spdcoupe

Reaction score
Hmm from the looks of it, I wouldn't say that heat shield is doing all that much to block heat... from the top its blocking the the hood which isn't a source of heat and in the back its blocking a wall.

Restriction-wise its open in the front but I'm sure its still blocking airflow being so close to the filter on all sides, have u ever taken it off and gone for a rip? I don't know if it would make a difference that you could notice but its worth a shot i guess

angelusnhc

Reaction score
Hmm from the looks of it, I wouldn't say that heat shield is doing all that much to block heat... from the top its blocking the the hood which isn't a source of heat and in the back its blocking a wall.

Restriction-wise its open in the front but I'm sure its still blocking airflow being so close to the filter on all sides, have u ever taken it off and gone for a rip? I don't know if it would make a difference that you could notice but its worth a shot i guess

from the momment i put it on i noticed the car didnt seem to pull as hard and that the intake was alot more quite. but i figured maybe i was wrong and that was all in my head. well i decided that bad boy is comming off. and it will be used only to show the car.

cliffsta

Reaction score
Wow, I'm glad I went with a POS APC intake... that AEM doesn't look right at all, its in a horrid location in my opinion... right next to the exhaust and not really near a source of fresh air. While I did have trouble making my long ol' tube fit (the filter wants to bind on the battery and the tube rests awkwardly on the A/C stuff, hence my blue-hose hacked up to act as a cushion) the filter sits right about the hole into the resonator and is closer to the front of the engine (and further from the exhaust).

00AccordLX5spd

Reaction score
Wow, I'm glad I went with a POS APC intake... that AEM doesn't look right at all, its in a horrid location in my opinion... right next to the exhaust and not really near a source of fresh air. While I did have trouble making my long ol' tube fit (the filter wants to bind on the battery and the tube rests awkwardly on the A/C stuff, hence my blue-hose hacked up to act as a cushion) the filter sits right about the hole into the resonator and is closer to the front of the engine (and further from the exhaust).

My eBay special "BomZ" sri is identical to yours. Except the rubber parts are red instread of blue. I did the exact same thing with my excess tubing that came with it...stuck it on the AC line.
I've still been too lazy to remove my resonator. I need to do it soon.

5spdcoupe

Reaction score
I've still been too lazy to remove my resonator. I need to do it soon.

:lawl: I know eh, mines still in there too. I was so eager to install and try out the new intake I couldn't be bothered to take it out... but it bugs me every time i open my hood now :madrun:

Back