Horrible Gas Mileage

russiansohcf23

Reaction score
Man, I feel like these 6th gens are gas eaters or maybe its cause im Auto?
I just hit 200 miles and im 3 bars under the half way maker on the gas gauge. I have 143k and havent changed a thing! Neither spark plugs or the wires. I usually get around 300-310 miles per tank. My driving consist of 60HWY/40CITY driving. Is there any other advice to pic up a few mpgs? And those of you who live in an area where there are mountains and you do alot of coasting, I hate you. JK.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Yeah, your timing belt is way overdue to be changed, as is your water pump.

Plugs/wires should be done as well.

Try using you cruise control more often too, that should help.

jwong512

Reaction score
Man, I feel like these 6th gens are gas eaters or maybe its cause im Auto?
I just hit 200 miles and im 3 bars under the half way maker on the gas gauge. I have 143k and havent changed a thing! Neither spark plugs or the wires. I usually get around 300-310 miles per tank. My driving consist of 60HWY/40CITY driving. Is there any other advice to pic up a few mpgs? And those of you who live in an area where there are mountains and you do alot of coasting, I hate you. JK.

Wow, if you haven't changed your timing belt you are way overdue and it could probably snap anytime and your motor would be toast. I would highly recommend changing your spark plugs, timing belt, water pumps, and all the other stuff that's usually in a timing belt kit. Also, seafoam your car and make sure that your engine air filters are clean. Check your tire pressures to make sure that all tires have the proper pressure in them.

russiansohcf23

Reaction score
Wow, if you haven't changed your timing belt you are way overdue and it could probably snap anytime and your motor would be toast. I would highly recommend changing your spark plugs, timing belt, water pumps, and all the other stuff that's usually in a timing belt kit. Also, seafoam your car and make sure that your engine air filters are clean. Check your tire pressures to make sure that all tires have the proper pressure in them.

Tire pressure is good and I've changed the timing belt about a year ago.
But everything else ill need to change.

Last edited:

Fuzz

Reaction score
wires,spark plugs, dis cap+ rotor. seafoam should help. more tire pressure. :lawl:

Seafoam = Death of Engine.

Just get a little fuel system cleaner @ Napa and throw it in your tank. NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER use any oil additive... EVER. It destroys seals and causes oil burn.

Only way to "clean" the engine is to take it apart.

Last edited:

swollen_cu

Reaction score
I have an 02 4cyl with 143k and I get like 300 til the gas light comes on.. 80city/20 hwy... Everything has been changed within a year.. wires,plugs, dist cap, rotor... IDK how you guys are pulling 400+ to a tank. I also pulled off my upper intake plenum to clean it out (Had the EGR CEL.) EGR was CLOGGED!

jwong512

Reaction score
I have an 02 4cyl with 143k and I get like 300 til the gas light comes on.. 80city/20 hwy... Everything has been changed within a year.. wires,plugs, dist cap, rotor... IDK how you guys are pulling 400+ to a tank. I also pulled off my upper intake plenum to clean it out (Had the EGR CEL.) EGR was CLOGGED!

I usually only pull 400+ when it's pure highway.

dcmystery21

Reaction score
Seafoam = Death of Engine.

Just get a little fuel system cleaner @ Napa and throw it in your tank. NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER use any oil additive... EVER. It destroys seals and causes oil burn.

Only way to "clean" the engine is to take it apart.

explain. if you are talking about adding it to your oil, then i kind of agree. but adding it to the intake is the best thing i have ever done to my car. it ran a whole lot better.

as far as gas miliage, you cant really do anything to increase it. accord are some gas guzzling mofo's. i saw somewhere that the rated mpg is 20 city.

Back